cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bedb_log.ldf 26GB

andrewt
Level 2
I have compacted the database with Beutility.exe but it has probably only shrunk by a few hundred MB and is currently around 26GB and is using approx 40% of the disk, leaving just a few GB free.

I couldn't see much in the way of logs or reports within Backup Exec so I can't fathom why the database should be this large.

What do I need to do to shrink or remove it?
5 REPLIES 5

Brian_Yurick
Level 3
Have you tried using the SQL Enterprise tools to shrink the .ldf ? (If you have access to a SQL server cd, you should be able to install just the tools as an option to the server running BackupExec)

I haven't tried this, but it may help get you in the right direction to a solution.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I think (but don't quote me!) that this might be due to BE's database maintenance not running. Have a look at the date of the BEDB.bak file - if it's old, your maintenance isn't happening.
In the options there is a section for database maintenance. Check that it's all enabled.

andrewt
Level 2
Thanks Hywell.

The Veritas maintenance appears to be running OK. I ticked the integrity check box and scheduled the run time for a few minutes into the future. It appears to have ran OK but no improvement in the size of the database.

BEDB.bak's datestamp is about 1 minute old.

Here's the result of the maintenance that's just completed.....

Summary of database maintenance activity:
* Performed database consistency check for BEDB database
* Saved contents of BEDB database
* Optimized BEDB database size from 26915.13 MB to 26915.13 MB
* Deleted expired data for BEDB database:
    1 expired audit logs were deleted
    0 expired reports were deleted
    20 expired job histories were deleted
    0 expired alert histories were deleted
    3 expired job logs were deleted
Total elapsed time: 00:01:10

andrewt
Level 2
Thanks for the great suggestion Brian.

As per books online, in Enterprise Manager I right-clicked the BEDB database -> All Tasks -> Shrink database.

From there I chose "Shrink Files" and I was able to shrink bedb_dat from 9MB to 8MB. However, it will only shrink bedb_log to 26906MB (i.e. a reduction of a few hundred MB).

The lack of disk spaced caused by this massive logfile is impacting other applications on the server and I need to get the file size down to something 'reasonable' ASAFP. Perhaps I can erase the database? 

I'll be grateful for any suggestions!

andrewt
Level 2
Fixed it!

The recovery model for the BEDB database was set to "Full". Changed it to "Simple", shrunk database (see above) and it's now a happy 1MB.