cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

beserver uses 50% CPU and swallows RAM

Iain_Watson
Level 2
Hello,

I recently upgraded from Backup Exec 10.0 to 11d. After the upgrade I found the beserver.exe process uses 50-60% CPU all the time, and the Memory usage increase constantly up to around 900 Meg before the beserver.exe service stops.

I have tried repair installation and removing hotfix 3 as directed by email support but this has made no difference. Email support directed my to raise a phone support request.

Now it is 6 days since logging the phone call support request and I am still waiting for a conversation with a tech support guy.

I have now tried uninstalling Backup Exec entirely and reinstalling it but this has not made any difference. I now have an installation if Backup Exec which is not set to back anything up, yet it is still using a constant 50-60% CPU and memory is steadily increasing.

Can anyone help.

Thanks,
Iain Watson
1 REPLY 1

Iain_Watson
Level 2
Hello,

I have found a resolution to this issue with the help of telephone support.

It was found that the CRF.log file in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\CRF\" was filling up with the following error message:

----------
05/18/2007 12:01:48 [3]:  Initializing reporting engine.
05/18/2007 12:01:48 [3]:  Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
----------

The problem was resolved by uninstalling ".NET 3.0", ".NET 2.0", rebooting, re-installing ".NET 2.0".

Just removing ".NET 3.0" did not fix the problem, this really did require a reinstall of ".NET 2.0".

For the sake of completeness I also reinstalled ".NET 3.0" to see if the problem came back, which it did not.

Hopefully this will help someone else who runs into this same problem.

Regards,
Iain Watson