cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best practice for set overwrite protection period

nellisonicl
Level 3
Hi Allsmiley,

I would like to set up a job for backups for my company.  I think the best would be a Full Backup on weekends and incrementals during weekdays.  Also once a month I want to take a full backup and archive it but I guess I can do this manually.

Please let me know,  what is best practice for:
1.) Name for media set
2.)Set Overwrite protection period
3.) Set Append Period

Thanks so much in advance for your assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Thats right in my example you will run three media set , but it totally depends how you want to configure it as you who can decide how long the data should be protected ..you can select 1 year in the media set properties .

I am not sure when you say you want to archive 1 month full backup?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1) As name mostly I use the company name
2 and 3) depends on hardware, If you have a library and put a lot of tapes in it, make sure to set an overwrite period for at least the period you don't want your tapes overwritten. If you have a stand-alone drive, it depends on what you like. Would you like to overwrite if the tape is not changed or not?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When configuring the media set you should take of the following settings
1.How long ypu want the media to be protected.
2.What is capacity of the tape .?
3.how much data you going to backup ?
4.how many files are created or modified daily ?this would help in configuring the incremental backup job and assigning how many tapes should be assigned for incremental job

refer the followinng document http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Refer the following example.Following settings can be modified as per you need
1. media set for montly backup assuming that you want to keep year month backup tape for 1 year
name :monthly or / 1 month protection
opp :12 months
app:1 day
2. media set for weekly full backup assuming that you want the weekly incremental backup to be protected for 2 weeks
Name : weekly full/2 week
opp: 13days
app: 1 day
3. Media set for the dail backup assuming that you want the incremental backup to be overwritten every week
Name :Dailincremental/1week
opp :6 days
app :1 day

nellisonicl
Level 3
I have a library.  I don't want it overwritten for a month.

When you say, "Would you like to overwrite if the tape is not changed or not?"  is that for the append period.  
It wouldn't never be in the library that long because I will change it every day.

nellisonicl
Level 3
Rahul,
I'm going to go with your answer.  I have a follow up question though.  In your example you will need 3 media sets?
There is no option for 12 months in overwrite protection.  So how would I do that if I want to archive 1 FULL backup per month?

Thanks!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Thats right in my example you will run three media set , but it totally depends how you want to configure it as you who can decide how long the data should be protected ..you can select 1 year in the media set properties .

I am not sure when you say you want to archive 1 month full backup?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
If you don't want any tape to be overwritten in a month, then put the Overwrite protection for that media set on a Month.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you remove the 'month' tape from the library, enable write protect on the tape itself and put it in a safe or somewhere safe it will never be overwritten. So it doesn't realy matter how you put the overwrite protection.

Hi All,

I'm new user on Veritas Backup Exec 16.

I have 16 physical servers and one hp tape autoloader.

I want to backup this 16 servers for 1 tape per 1 week ( Monday to Saturday = Incremental, Sunday = Full )

Please help me how to configure for this backup ?

Thank you so much.