Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i install BE on a VM with a robotic library tape

abdel
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

i have a esxi cluster (2 hosts connected to an FC storage bay) instead of installing a new BE physical with robotic library tape, i want to install BE as a VM and add the physical server as host to the vmware cluster.

is this possible? could BE VM manage the library without problem?

and is it supported scenario by veritas support?

thanks for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The pass through of physical tape device connectivity into a VM is NOT supported.  For Backup Exec to use physical tape the Backup Exec Server MUST be physical (with a possible exception if there are any tape libraries that support iSCSI connectivity and are on our Hardware Compatibility List)

In the past, the few customers that have tried to get passthrough technologies for tape devices to work with VMware have run into relatively frequent connectivity isses when trying to use the devices in question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The pass through of physical tape device connectivity into a VM is NOT supported.  For Backup Exec to use physical tape the Backup Exec Server MUST be physical (with a possible exception if there are any tape libraries that support iSCSI connectivity and are on our Hardware Compatibility List)

In the past, the few customers that have tried to get passthrough technologies for tape devices to work with VMware have run into relatively frequent connectivity isses when trying to use the devices in question.

abdel
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your reply