cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not erase or prepare 2nd tape without canceling the current backup process

Not applicable
I am still using old Exabyte 8505 that has 5 gig capacity. So, I need fewtapes in order to backup my data (about 20 gigs). So far, I was not ableto backup all 20 gigs continuosly on multiple tapes. When one tape maxesout, the Exabyte ejects the first tape, I insert the second tape and thealert says that the 2nd tape I just inserted is not recognizable media. So, I tried to use quick erase or long erase however, before I even run eraseprocess, the tape device ejects the new tape. I have tried on multiple exbytetapes including new exabyte tapes.Is it possible to have B.E. do backups continuously across multiple tapes?Thanks,Joseph
1 REPLY 1

Not applicable
Joseph wrote:> I am still using old Exabyte 8505 that has 5 gig capacity. So, I need few> tapes in order to backup my data (about 20 gigs). So far, I was not able> to backup all 20 gigs continuosly on multiple tapes. When one tape maxes> out, the Exabyte ejects the first tape, I insert the second tape and the> alert says that the 2nd tape I just inserted is not recognizable media. > So, I tried to use quick erase or long erase however, before I even run erase> process, the tape device ejects the new tape. I have tried on multiple exbyte> tapes including new exabyte tapes.> > Is it possible to have B.E. do backups continuously across multiple tapes?> > Thanks,> Joseph> CertainlyYou say that you tried both quick and long erase? This is before the job runs, not during the job, right?before the job starts, you should be able to label a new tape, or quick-erease a previuously used tape. After the operation, the label information should show in blue, meaning that the tape is available for overwrite. Then during the job, just give it one if these blue tapes, and things should go fine