cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't eject media (BackupExec 2015, Windows Server 2012R2)

Cecilia_Tong
Level 3

Hi,

Does anyone know how to eject tapes in Backup Exec 2015 on Windows Server 2012R2?

I created a robotic library contain 2 robots and 30 tape drives.I follow the BackupExec2015 Guide to eject media, but I went to library and found the eject button is gray(Storage -> library). It showed "The selected item does not support this command". I went to the slot, and it also showed that.

I don't know how to solve this problem, please give some advices, thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. This function is not available for tape libraries

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You do not eject media in a library, eject is a function if a stand alone tape device (device that can ONLY hold one tape at a time)

Bigger libraries have a way to configure an Export Slot (Sometime called a Mailslot) which the tape is moved into so that it can be taken out of the library.

Backup Exec has corresponding export commands that can move a tape from one of the storage slots to the export slot and an import slot to move a tape from the export slot to a storage slot.

Suggest you review the help information or admin guides for details of importing and exporting media in libraries.

Note: smaller libraries do not have this functionality and you have to pull out the magazine of all your media just to extract one tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you have a tape library and you want to remove tapes, you either open the magazines and remove the tapes or you export the tapes. The latter option requires you to enable the mail or I/O slots in the library

Cecilia_Tong
Level 3

Thanks for your help. But I just want to eject the media, I don't want to remove them. And the export botton is gray, too.

Cecilia_Tong
Level 3

Pardon me, do you mean I can't eject media when its belong a robotic library? The export button is gray, which is the same as eject button.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This means that you have not enabled the mail slots. You need to do this by using the library's WebUI or the front panel. Check your library's user manual

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no need to eject the media. When BE is done with the tape, it will be returned to its slot automatically

Cecilia_Tong
Level 3

Actually I did some test on BE, one of the test cases is "eject media". Is there any solution to achieve this operation? Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. This function is not available for tape libraries

Cecilia_Tong
Level 3

Thank you very much, you are so nice!