cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot start Backup Exec Device & Media Services on new install

James_Ramey
Not applicable
cannot start Backup Exec Device & Media Services on new install

After re-installing 9.1 Backup Exec for Windows I cannot start the Backup Device & Media service on Local computer Error 1065: The database specified does not exist.

There is no database.
When I try to use any of the database tools in the BEUtility I get something like this
Starting database recovery.
Stopping Services
Stopping services for server:MYSERVER.
Server:MYSERVER, Service:BackupExecJobEngine stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:MYSERVER, Service:BackupExecRPCService stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:MYSERVER, Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService stopped successfully or was not running.
Stopping services for server MYSERVER completed.
Performing database recovery for BEDB database.
Error: The database linkage is bad.
Database recovery for server MYSERVER ended with errors.

I'm assuming there are settings I did not remove before I reinstalled but I can not find them????

jamesrramey@NSPAMyahoo.com
3 REPLIES 3

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

please try doing a repair installation of Backup Exec with the help of the technote below:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

Please update the results.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Chris_Balke
Level 2
I'm using 10.0 and have the exact same error message.

I've ALL of the recommended steps using the BEUtility.exe and ensuring that MCAD is current/up-to-date.

Any next steps?

From what I'm reading and gathering, I am 99% positive that my database is corrupt. How can I go about repairing this past the steps mentioned in the BE KB articles?

Thanks in advance!

Chris_Balke
Level 2
*** bump ***

does no one have any ideas or answers for this?