cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client-side deduplication not working for VM servers

Eric_Steel
Level 3

On any of my VM servers if I try to configure client side deduplication it does not work.  I am NOT deduplicating the VM, I am connecting to the servername under Microsoft Windows Network and selecting files and folders from there.

I have followed all of the settings for client side dedupe, but each time the job runs I get the following message in the job log "client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used."  The job completes and dedupes, but it appears to default to media server deduplication.  If I change the job to use media server deduplication then it completes without exception.

Under devices the server is listed as a remote agent, but the Deduplication Folder is not listed under the server.  Also, in the properties of the remote agent the Host ID is blank.

I have tested this with several server VMs, Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2003.  All behave the same way.  However, non-VM servers perform client side dedupe just fine.

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

Client side dedup will not work if you are using AVVI. It works only with RAWS.

Also I would recommend you to upgrade to BE2010 R2 if you are still on BE2010.

Eric_Steel
Level 3

I am running BE2010 R2 and I am selecting the server using the Remote Agent not the AVVI. 

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to this link http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77683 although its for BE2010 you may give a try.

Eric_Steel
Level 3

I have tried and re-tried everything in that article.   I have no problem getting the client side dedupe to work on a physical server.  It just doesn't work if the server is virtual.

I think it is a bug when trying to client-side dedupe data in a server VM. 

DBuxbaum
Level 2

I also can not get client side dedup to work on a VM  (like you I have the remote agent installed on the VM) and no matter what I do, I can not get it to work.

DBuxbaum
Level 2

I dont know what happened, but all of a sudden it started working.  I did not touch the job and it had refused the client side dedup over and over again (the job runs everyday) and then all of a sudden it just started working.