cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

command line extract files from LTO tape

RandomCarstairs
Level 2

A remote site has sent me some files on a tape created by backup exec, and I need to extrack the files to disk. I've installed a trial copy of backup exec, but am running into password problems & getting the tape recognized. Is there a simple way to just extract all the file from the tape to disk files. The trial version is installed on a Server2008R2 machine, and I have Win7 & linux workstations available.

Thanks for any help

3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@RandomCarstairs wrote:

Is there a simple way to just extract all the file from the tape to disk files.

Not really.  The tape would need to be inventoried, cataloged and then you could select what you want to restore.

If the tape is encrypted, that might be related to your password issues, so you would need to obtain the encryption key/password.

RandomCarstairs
Level 2

I kind of figured. It's not encrypted, unless the people who sent it to me were being even nastier than I thought. I was just kind of hoping that there was a simple utility that I could point at the tape and say "grag everything that's on there"

Thanks

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Backup Exec does have a command line system, but it is not trivial.  You would likely be done faster using the GUI for a one-off project.