cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

common way to restore

mghomer
Level 6

Hi all,

im trying to restore some files from a tapeset from other backupserver.

The tapeset was created in a BE12.5 just 2 weeks ago and consist of 4 tapes LTO 5

Now i have imported the tapes on other site to a backup 2010R3

1. run the inventar job

2. selcect one of the tapes and run catalogue job( ps do i have run a catalogue job on spicific tapes from the tapeset?)

That should be fine i think.

But unfortunately the catalogue job is abborted after 5 hours that the needed tapes are not in the index. But the tapes are in the lodaer and i had run the the inventar job before.

So i run the catalogue job aftre the the catalogue error on other tapes from the tapeset. I tooks only 10 min for 3 tapes which are missing in the error log.

But if i try to restore the BE says that the tapes are missing.

What Im doing wrong?

PS. the tapes are encrypted, but i have create the needed key for the tapes and that shouldn't be a problem because i see a part of data if i try to create a restore job.

Hope you can help me 

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

From Tools - Options - Catalog, uncheck the option "Request all media in sequence".

Rerun the catalog and check the restore selections.

If it still doesn't appear, then uncheck the option "use storage media-based catalogs" and rerun the catalog.

mghomer
Level 6
Ok will do that, but how can i remove this fail catalog from BE to rerun the catalog job? If i just rerun catalog job, the job is after 10 min ready but If i Open restore i still See that tapes are missing.

mghomer
Level 6
Ok will do that, but how can i remove this fail catalog from BE to rerun the catalog job? If i just rerun catalog job, the job is after 10 min ready but If i Open restore i still See that tapes are missing.

mghomer
Level 6

VJware
Level 6

Stop all BE services and rename the existing Catalogs folder to some name else such as Catalogs_Old. Restart the BE services and a new Catalogs folder will be created automatically. Rerun the catalog job on all tapes.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I thought messing with his catalog directory would also mess up his disk media which is managed by DLM

VJware
Level 6

You are right if the OP was using BE 2012 or higher. Though he mentions "Now i have imported the tapes on other site to a backup 2010R3"

mghomer
Level 6

Hi guys,

now it seems to run with this option:

From Tools - Options - Catalog, uncheck the option "Request all media in sequence".

unchecked the option "use storage media-based catalogs".

And removed the old catalog folder.

But, i have click on one of the tapes from a tapeset( 4Tapes) and start the catalog job.

Strangely the job is running since 22 hours and have add abaout 12 TB data and two backupsjobs to the catalog. and it is still running.

PS my default bbackup consist of 4 tapes with about 5,2 TB.

Any idea why the job still running?

VJware
Level 6

The cataloging takes longer time since the option "use storage media based catalogs" was unchecked. Have a look @ thi KB for the explanation of this option - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH6164

mghomer
Level 6

Thanks for the link, but it not explain why by clicking on on tape and start the catalog job it catalog more than one tapeset. I mean one of my tapesets consist of 4 Tapes with 5,2 TB data. And my catalogjob is running since 23 hours and has read 12,2 TB data. What is happening in the job now?

VJware
Level 6

Sounds like every tape is getting cataloged. Double-click on the running catalog job and you should be able to see which media is getting cataloged.

Depends upon how the catalog operation was initiated. Did you highlight and choose catalog for just one tape or for multiple tapes ? Or was the catalog initiated by right-clicking the drive itself and choosing catalog ?

mghomer
Level 6

just by clicking on one tape.

and if I open the running job i see only one tape.

And other thing  in the current jobstatsu I see lot of sets and each of this sets has an error e000900 tape is not in the index. But the status is showan as done. Please see the screenshots.

VJware
Level 6

A quick query. Is 5.2 TB of data in compressed form ? That could explain the higher byte count for the catalog. And once the catalog eventually completes, stop all BE services and browse via cmd to the BE directory. Run the following command and start the BE services once it completes. Then check the restore selections.

catrebuildindex -r

mghomer
Level 6

not they are not compressed. But whatr i see now, if i open the taopedribve is that they are a tape that is not on the joblist you see in the screenshots. That means that  the tapes shown in the jobslist are completly wrong. That would not epxlain why i see the higher byte. 

But i will wait now till the job is done and post you

Thanks for you help!

mghomer
Level 6

Hi Guys,

that's me again.

So now i have tried to recatalog the tape to an other BE2010R3 but it fails.

The error's I see is that here, i will try to translate it from german:

Katalog

The medium with the follow number 1 from this mediumfamily is not in the invetory

The medium with the follow number 2 from this mediumfamily is not in the invetory

till

The medium with the follow number 185 from this mediumfamily is not in the invetory

But the backupset consist only of to tapes with this numbers 020038L5, 020046L5,020083L5,020104L5

I don't understand what BE surching for? I how i can it fix.

What i have done is to rename the "catalog" folder, so i have a new clean catalog folder. Checked that no tapes with this nubers exist in the BE. Run the job with the unchecked option "use storage media-based catalogs".

PS. I can do the catalog job, while an other backupjob is running?

Hope you can help me? That seems to be  a common issue on every our BE 2010 Server. I have to find out what is going wrong. And if i take a look in the web for such catalog error i see lot of posts but i can't find a solution, so it seems to be a common issue. We are planning to renwe all our BE Servers this year but we can't do it with such big issues.

Thanks guys

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can run the catalog job together with other jobs provided they do not use the tape drive

mghomer
Level 6

ok,

what do the number means in the error message? I mean the tapes have the barcode, which is also reported in the in the restore wizard if i gonna click on the tapeset. But the error message says tepa 1 tape to and so on.

and what i have fortgot to wrote is the error message: E0000900