cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

complete noob still - BACKUPS FAILING! how do I blow it out and start over?

Joey_Ahrens
Level 3
I was thrown into managing the Veritas backups almost 6 months ago and have yet had a chance to sit down and figure out how to make it work to my likings as the previous admin had a set way of doing things that I'm not privy to.

So we have 3 major backups scheduled for the weekends. one is our exchange server one is our DC backup and one is our home directories. The DC backup has been a steady performer. until this past weekend when it failed due to "END OF PHYSICAL TAPE" or whatever. and I'm seeing failures for the exchange dating back ages and ages... How do I blow out all the past backups and clear the drive to start over again? I have good copy of the last DC backup, but I need room to run a good clean backup and I'm pretty sure that if I just go on the drive and start deleting things it will hose everything up. The console doesn't give me what I need (basically an arrow that says HEY STUPID YOU START TO CLEAR IT ALL OUT HERE) and I'm getting beaten every monday when my boss comes in with a message on his blackberry stating that the backups failed AGAIN.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am getting errors:

Final error: 0x44c - The physical end of the tape has been reached.
and
Final error: 0xa000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad.
Final error category: Resource Errors
and
Backup - \\EXCHANGE1\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Database or database element is corrupt
Database or database element is corrupt
Backup - \\EXCHANGE1\Microsoft Site Replication Service\SRS Storage Access denied to database SRS MDB.
Access denied to database Log files.
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following technotes:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277891

http://support.veritas.com/docs/193940

http://support.veritas.com/docs/261457

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Joey_Ahrens
Level 3
those are very interesting articles and I am going to check them out this morning. however I really want to know how I can delete all the jobs and all the failed items that started and failed, so that I know that the media that was part of a FAILED job was deleted, and that there is now room to do a full backup. How can I do that?

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

The jobs can be deleted by clicking on JOB-SETUP.
Select the job and select "DELETE".

The media wont get deleted with the above action.

If you intend to delete data written to tapes, drag and drop the corresponding tapes to "Scratch media" in the "Media" tab and then the tapes are rendered overwritable.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.