cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configuracion múltiples nics y reinstalacion de agente

eduzav
Level 4

Que tal, cual es el comportamiento al programar un job para que use una nic especifica en un servers que tengo múltiples nics y donde todas las nics llegan a los destinos del job que estoy programando.
La duda esta con la opcion "allow use of any avalaible network interface"
Ej: si tengo programado un job para que use la nic1 y con la anterior opcion deshabilitada, entiendo que siempre usa la nic 1, si se cae la nic1 por mas que con las otras nics se pueda llegar al destino el job va a fallar porque no usa las otras nics, en cambio si tengo habilitada esta opcion, siempre usa la nic 1 y solo conmutaría a las otras nics en caso de falla de la nic1, o sea si se cae la nic1 puede terminar el job ya que usa las otras nics. Es este el comportamiento?

La otra duda es si puede convivir el agente de la version veritas 9.1 con la del agente de backup exec 12.5, es para un caso de migración de producto en el cual se tiene que seguir haciendo el backup desde ámbos productos.

Gracias,
Eduardo

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
from freetranslation.com

The other doubt is if lives together the agent of the version veritas 9,1 with that of the agent of backup exec 12,5, he is for a product migration case in which he has to continue doing the backup from ámbos products. That such, which is the behavior upon planning a job so that use a nic specifies in a servers that I have multiple nics and where all the nics arrive at the destinies of the job that I am planning.  The doubt this with the opcion "allow use of any avalaible network interface" Ej: if I have planned a job so that use the nic1 and with the previous opcion disabled, I understand that always uses the nic 1, if the nic1 falls by but that with the other nics can arrive at the destiny the job is going to fail because does not use the other nics, on the other hand if I have paymaster this Opcion, always he uses the nic 1 and alone he would exchange to the other nics in case of failure of the nic1, that is to say if the nic1 falls can finish the job since uses the other nics.  Is this the behavior? 

This translation is a little rocky, but if I understand the question:  No, if you have selected NIC1 only in your job properties and that NIC fails, the job(s) will fail until the NIC is replaced or the Option is changed

The other doubt is if lives together the agent of the version veritas 9,1 with that of the agent of backup exec 12,5, he is for a product migration case in which he has to continue doing the backup from ámbos products.

No the v9.1 agent will not work with v12.5  You need to be at the same version (preferably at the same build and patch level).

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I agree with Ken about  his answer - but just to add a piece of information to the Multiple NIC configuration. - Backup Exec works out which NIC to use based on the settings in the network and security section and also on what IP address the servers use to name resolve each other.

What this means is that Backup Exec can use either network card if for some reason they are attached to the same subnet and as long as allow any network interface is enabled then it will give a certain amount of security for your backups (although possibly not if the failure occurs in the middle of a job.)

However if a different subnet is inolved (for instance if you have a dedicated Backup network) then as it is likely that you will have to configure the server being backed up to name resolve the media server over the backup network and the media server to name resolve the server being backed up over the backup network then you will get failures should the NIC controlling the backup network fail.

eduzav
Level 4
DOUBT 2 OK

DOUBT 1 SUMMARIZE
example: job using nic 1 with option "allow use of any avalaible network interface" disabled and the server has 4 nics.
if nic1 fail during the backup, the job failed
Otherwise if job has the option "allow use of any avalaible network interface" enabled , if nic1 fail during the backup, the job continue using the othes nics, thats ok?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If a NIC fails during the job, the only way the job can continue is if the NICs  themselves are in a FAILOVER configuration.  If you just have four separate NICS, no the job will not continue.  If the job is restarted without changing any of the job properties, then it will grab a different NIC and run properly