cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configure to backup data in san

m_va
Level 2

I am setting Symantec Backup Exec 2010R3.

My BackupServer is connecting SAN and Ethernet. Backup Server is Physical server , not Virtual server.
and FileServer is running on the VMware(as a virtual server ) and the vmdk and FileServer's data are stored on the SAN storage.

I want to backup Fileserver's data via SAN.

How can I configure Backup exec job ?
If I make Backup exec job to backup , by default backup exec backup via SAN without any specific checking option ?
please let me know how to configure Backup via SAN ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi m_va,

Follow the TN below in order to configure SAN Transport Mode during  your backup:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155831

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi m_va,

Follow the TN below in order to configure SAN Transport Mode during  your backup:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155831

Thanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

edited

m_va
Level 2

thanks

and if i get it right ihave too present my luns to BE server!

unfortunately there is a problem that i  have 2 lun which presented to physical servers and i cant present these luns to BE server (for security reasons).

how could i backup these data???

CraigV

If you were able to do snapshots on your SAN and present the snapshots to the media server you might be able to do it this way.

Unfortunately for SAN Transport Mode to work you need to be able to access the VMFS volumes directly.

Otherwise you can only backup the VMs using the RAWS agents and this goes via the LAN.

Thanks!

m_va
Level 2

buudy 

these 2 luns presented to physycal server (not vmware)

does it works the same way as you mentioned for vmfs?or is threre a way to backup data without presentig?

thanks

CraigV

Did you read the TN? Doesn't matter what you backup too...your media server needs to have the VM LUNs presented and mounted to it in order to use SAN Transport Mode.

If you don't present the LUNs, then your only option is to use a normal RAWS backup across the LAN...no SAN is therefore involved.