cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection not established

Bryan_McDonald
Level 4

Have a new windows 2012 R2 server and a new installation of backup exec 2014 (v14.1 rev 1786)

All is going well as far as domain servers goes, I've added those I need and done some test backup jobs - no problems.

Problem is servers not on the domain. Simply can't get BE2014 to connect to them. They are in my server list but status is "connection not established" and can't select them for a backup.

I've created logon accounts and tested connection through "manage logon accounts" but just get "fail".

There are 3 of these servers so far, all are getting backed up fine on our old 2010 system, I've tested the user accounts and password by logging directly on to the servers but no joy getting 2014 to communicate. Tried connecting by IP but same problem

Don't see anything in any logs to help diagnose the issue 

Any ideas appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Assuming you can telnet from the BE 2014 media server to all 3 remotes on Port 10000, then I think you are going to need to put the BE 2014 Agent on the 3 affacted servers to see if it resolves it. If this does you will not be able to continue backing up the servers with 2010.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver

Do you still have the 2010 Agent installed on these servers?

Later versions of BE 2010 and onwards needed trust relationships to be enabled and it may be that the mismatch of agent versions is causing an issue (especially as you have not said which build of 2010 you have)

Bryan_McDonald
Level 4

Thanks Colin

It is 2010 R3.

Agent version on 2 of the servers is 13.0.2896.120 the other is 13.0.5204.1225.

Checking, we have domain servers with both these versions that are connecting fine.

When ading the servers to 2014 it says the trust is established ok - just not the connection!

VJware
Level 6

13.0.2896.120 is 2010 R1. This one could be the issue as R1 did not have the concept of SSL trust. Upgrade the agent and recheck for this particular machine.

Colin_Weaver

Assuming you can telnet from the BE 2014 media server to all 3 remotes on Port 10000, then I think you are going to need to put the BE 2014 Agent on the 3 affacted servers to see if it resolves it. If this does you will not be able to continue backing up the servers with 2010.

SSR_7767
Level 4

Have the remote agents updated. Then remove the server entry from Backup Exec and restart the Backup Exec services.

Readd the servers.

Also, please make sure that the other steps discussed in the above comments are checked.

Bryan_McDonald
Level 4

Hi Colin

updating to the 2014 agent certainly seems to cure this. 

Puzzled as to why this only affected servers not on the domain.

Having added 30 or so domain servers with various 2010 agents without issue I was thinking it was authentication type problems rather than agent.

Any light you can shed on that would be useful but thanks for the fix.

Colin_Weaver

I agreed it is odd however I doubt if I can get to an exact cause for the difference due to the partial spport status of 2010 R3 and you having a relatively easy solution.

Note: I did have a chat with some immediate colleagues who also could not think of a reason.