cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert P2V to smaller .vhd

dlt1928
Level 3

I have a question on the converting P2V.  I have BE 2012 and it has this nifty feature Backup to Disk and Simultaneously Convert to Virtual Machine.  I've been checking it out, watching the videos.  I'd like to try this out but this is what I'm running up against.  The server I want to virtualize has 380 some odd gig of harddrive space but there's only around 45 GB that's being used.  When i start walking through the conversion process, I see you can change the RAM and CPU count but it doesn't allow you to change the disk size.  I guess my question is during the conversion does it actually convert the entire disk space on the physical server - would it indeed create a 380 some odd gig .vhd file?  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The conversion process does allow few disk configuration changes, however for Hyper-V, the choices are either a fixed size or dynamic expanding disk. Try the second option & see if a thinly provisioned disk is created or not   (i would need to test this as well )

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6

The conversion process does allow few disk configuration changes, however for Hyper-V, the choices are either a fixed size or dynamic expanding disk. Try the second option & see if a thinly provisioned disk is created or not   (i would need to test this as well )

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,

By design the P2V jobs will always take the configuration of the Hard disk to create the VHD or VMDK files. So if you have 380 GB hard drive then the VHD / VMDK will be of 380 GB if you use the Fixed size or Thick provisioning option.

Here as the used space is 45 GB you should use the Dynamic Expanding disk option as mentioned above so that the VHD in the destination Hyper-V host will be of 45 GB only.

Thanks,

-Sush...