cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

daisy chain two media servers to storageloader t40+ SAS connections

onebigbird
Level 2

I have two windows 2003 servers running BE2010.  Both can run the tape drive individually through their SAS connections, but can I daisy chain the two servers through the SAS3801E connections?  If it is physically possible, do I have to have a master and slave SAN?

5 REPLIES 5

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What is your goal?

How many drives in the library?  If you have more than one drive, you can probably partition the library into two partitions, so that each servers sees part of the library, operating independently of each other.

If you want to share the library and be able to backup & restore from either server, then you would need a CAS license.

onebigbird
Level 2

Yes, the drive is already partitioned, however, the second partition is on an isolated network and already has a 2008 Windows server attached.  I would like to share the library from each server.  On the software part, i will look into the CAS license, but, the way i would connect both would be to daisy chain the SAS connection or is my thinking of the hardware incorrect?  Each SAS pci card has two SAS connections, go from one server to the other server then to the second partition of the library?

onebigbird
Level 2

I cant justify the $3500 for the enterprise addon, it would be smarter to use a remote client and backup through the other server unless you cannot use that option on another server.  I apologize, I am very new at how all this licensing works.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

SAS doesn't support daisy chaining as SAS is a point-to-point connection.  So going from Server1 to Server2 doesn't accomplish anything to allow Server1 to see the tape library.

Using a remote agent is certainly a reasonable option.

Any chance of adding a third drive to your library so you can create 3 partitions?

onebigbird
Level 2

Thanks for the information!  I had'nt thought of adding another drive to the library.  Are we talking quite a bit of money to do that?  I will have to look into the capability of the Tandberg T40.