Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

database maintenance

zak2011
Level 6

The exchange incremental duplicate job failed with an error

Job ended: 29. februar 2012 at 08:59:45
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

When i checked the media used in the Job History it shows me one media  is used. However when i went to the job log it shows me three media is used.

why does it show two different information?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi zak,

You can try running a repair of the BEDB using BEutility.exe, and if this fails, and you can afford to start from scratch, then redo the server from scratch.

THanks!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Are you running backup to disk or tape ?

Exchange GRT backup is only supported on backup to disk and the job should be created via a policy .

Check if any conflict with antivirus as this can lead to such issue .

zak2011
Level 6

I am runnning Exchange GRT backups to disk and then duplicate them to tape. The jobs are created via policy. There is no antivirus on exchange.

CraigV

I think RahulG meant to mention that INCR GRT backups are only supported to disk. Full backups are supported to disk and tape, so he should have clarified that a bit.

Try recreating your duplicate job and try running it again!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Thanks CraigV. 

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Craig,

I suspect that the BE database has got some issues. When i run the BE support tool, it says  under the errors that the Backup Exec database (BEDB) schema does not match the installed version of Backup Exec and also " Failed to locate DataPartitionGUID in the registry.
Diagnostics for this report have been halted. One or more required items are inaccessible."

Probably the shift from BE2010R2 to R3 did not go well as expected. Inany case I am planning to redo the migration again so that the possibility of the database corruption can be ruled out. What do you recommend regarding this and also what is the best way to do it? 

zak2011
Level 6

Thanks Craig for the correction and thanks Rahul for your help!

CraigV

Open up a command prompt, and then navigate to your BE installation directory. Once there type: bemig, and let the migration tool migrate the BEDB to the new schema.

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Craig,

Is there any document i can follow with the steps or can i just go ahead and type bemig. Do i need to backup the current database incase something should go wrong

Thanks!

CraigV

Having a backup of something is always advisable, so if you feel more comfortable with this, then stop the BE services and then grab a copy of the Catalog/Data folders.

All bemig.exe does though is upgrade the schema of the BEDB to the version it should be on, based on the installed version.

the link below refers to a Symantec TN that explains a bit more about bemig...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH50537

Thanks!

zak2011
Level 6

Thanks Craig!. Will try this out and update the post.

zak2011
Level 6

I have tried out the steps. Once the backups have completed will update the post.

Thanks!

zak2011
Level 6

Is there any way to know what has been done after the bemig has run. The whole process just took a few seconds. Does it store any log file. How do we ensure that the database has been rectified.

Thanks!

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Nice explanation

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Criag,

Sorry for the delay in responding to the post. I have tried out the bemig and i feel anything major took place. When i run the BE support tool, it told me that there was a Backup Exec schema mismatch. Do you suggest redoing the whole BE server from scratch, create new jobs, and upgrade to BE2012. Is there any other way to correct the database other than redoing the whole thing.

Thanks!

CraigV

Hi zak,

You can try running a repair of the BEDB using BEutility.exe, and if this fails, and you can afford to start from scratch, then redo the server from scratch.

THanks!

zak2011
Level 6

Thanks Craig, will try this out!

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Craig,

Can i run this as long as no jobs are running. Is there anything important to take into account before doing the BE maintenance. ( sorry to asking too many questions..just that i havent done it before)

Thanks!

CraigV

Not really, but if you are concerned enough about it, you can do the following:

1. Check the BE installation directory\Data and you will see bedb.bak which is created at 4AM each morning by default. You can restore from this...OR...

2. Grab a copy of the Data/Catalogs folders before doing the BEDB maintenance.

zak2011
Level 6

Thanks Craig! will update the post