cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delayed catalog Job GRT Exchange!

chriscrytek
Level 3

Hi,

I am running a backup to disk duplicate to tape strategy on Exchange 2007 with backup exec 2014 SP2

After every Backup Job on the disk the catalog job starts, this job takes much longer then the backup itself and it looks like that it always run the complete catalog job!

I have the same Byte count for catalog Job after every incremental Backup then after the full backup??

Looking at this doc:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99624

The catalog job after the incremental backups should only catalog the incremental data not the whole full backup plus the incremental!

Even if I have low incremental data at the weekend (maybe 3Gbyte, done in some minutes) the catalog job runs for more than 14 hours and has a the same byte count as for the full backup.

Makes no sence to me and has unneccessary load on the disk and the duplicate to Tape schedule is shifted for 14 hours!

Can someone explain this? Is it normal?

regards

Christian

Crytek 

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have a look @ this KB article instead (specifically the last section) - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99635

chriscrytek
Level 3

Ok thanks for this link.

Exactly as I guessed(quote):

When the catalog operation is performed for an incremental backup, all files on the virtual disk are cataloged instead of only the changed files. Therefore, the byte count for the catalog job takes into account both the full backup and the incremental backup.

But why is backupexec doing like this? And how can I work around?

Makes no sence to me and seems to be a complete waiste of time and resources. Today it took me 14hours57minutes for a backup  of 12GB incremental data!!

It comes the time that I can't do daily backup because 24 hours are not enough for the catalog!

/christian

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There can be multiple reasons as to why cataloging runs slower as it depends on various factors such as size of the DB, its logs, disk performance etc.

I would recommend you to log a support case and work with a support engineer on improving the performance/throughput of the cataloging phase.

chriscrytek
Level 3

But its not running slow!

It simply does useless tasks, it catalogs the full backup every day even if you only make incremental backups. In the link I gave above Symantec doc says that backup exec is catalog only the last inc. job and if you forgot to catalog an nc. job before it does not catalog them.

But in real life it scans the all stuff all the time it runs.

/christian

Crytek