cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

differences adding vCenter or single ESX-hosts to BE2014

BEUser11
Level 2

Hello together,

does it make a difference in functionality or are there any advantages/disadvantages between adding a single vCenter-server or adding all ESXi-hosts separate?

The background is the following:

We have to use the NBD transport method. Work-LAN and storage-LAN are separated in the network environment. The vCenter-server is configured in the work-LAN and the ESXi-hosts are connected to the vCenter-server with their work-LAN addresses.

When adding the vCenter-server to BE2014 the backup via NBD runs over the work-LAN which isn´t the desired behaviour.

The ESXi-servers also have a second Management-vmkernel-port in the storage-LAN.
The idea is to use this IP-address instead of using the work-LAN address. So the backup traffic runs over the storage-LAN.

Does anyone have any ideas or advices on this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

P.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Adding via vCenter means any moves/changes in hosts is automatically picked up.

Any Vmotion of VMs doesn't interrupt backups and cause them to fail. If a VM Vmotions off a host and you are pointing at hosts only, then the job will fail as that VM is no longer present on it.

I would suspect that to run over your specific network cards, then the vCenter needs an address in that range.

Once done, within BE itself you can specify which network the backups run over.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Adding via vCenter means any moves/changes in hosts is automatically picked up.

Any Vmotion of VMs doesn't interrupt backups and cause them to fail. If a VM Vmotions off a host and you are pointing at hosts only, then the job will fail as that VM is no longer present on it.

I would suspect that to run over your specific network cards, then the vCenter needs an address in that range.

Once done, within BE itself you can specify which network the backups run over.

Thanks!

BEUser11
Level 2

Hi Craig,

thanks for your idea and your reply.
I´ve configured the vCenter Server in the storage-network. The BE-server added the vCenter via it´s address in the storage range. But when running the backup, the work-lan is used. 

I suspect that the vCenter communicates to the hosts via the work-LAN-address and this vmkernel port is used for backup traffic. So a connection to the BE-host isn´t possible.

A possible solution is to change the management addresses to the storage-network but this is not an option.

So we will think about adding the ESXi-hosts to BE without vCenter so that the storage-LAN is used.

Thanks!