Level 3

Hi

I want to make a weekly differential  backup
I defined 
1 Mediapool Overwrite Protection Time 1 Week, Append Time 4 Days

&

first  Job with Options set to Full Backup and Overwrite on weekend
2nd Job with Options set to Differential and Append

I do not know whether to create only 1 backup device for the 2 jobs , or create 2 backup device one to each of the two job

regards

Sharon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It is up to you whether you want to use 1 or 2 disk storage. If your retention period for both the full and differential backups are the same then you only need one media set. For disk storage, you should always specify Overwrite. There is no advantage in appending to disk media

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You don't really need to create two devices as such , what you need to do is create two media set.

Refer https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/faq-how-configure-media-setsb2d-jobs-and-backup-exec-proper-management-disk-space-while-using-

Sharon_E
Level 3

Hi

in the link you attached

it seems to be no reference to differential back up

and seems to refer only to full back up jobs

I guess it makes sense also to differinteial backup

and 1 backup device can hold full backup & differinteial backup  at the same time

but need to be sure

regards

Sharon

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Yes ,One backup device can hold both full and differential backups at the same time. The Link referred will just give better understanding , in your case it is more of media set configuration .

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It is up to you whether you want to use 1 or 2 disk storage. If your retention period for both the full and differential backups are the same then you only need one media set. For disk storage, you should always specify Overwrite. There is no advantage in appending to disk media

Sharon_E
Level 3

Ok so one backup device

If I want differential backup 6 days a week and on Friday a full backup

I'm not sure how configure the media set

do I need in the media set settings -  overwrite protecion for 6 days and append for 6 days

regards

Sharon

Sharon_E
Level 3

thanks

please see my last answer to to RahulG

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Your OPP is fine if you just to retain your backups for 1 week. Set your AP to 1 hour, the minimum. You don't need it

Sharon_E
Level 3

I realized that that the append period is the time tjat its possible add data media

Append period is the amount of time specified in hours, days, weeks, or years, that data may be added (appended) to media

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459

so if I set to 1 hour I'll not able to add data to the media after 1 hour

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. You would not be able to append to the media after 1 hour. This does not mean that your job will fail. BE will either overwrite a recyclable media or create new ones in the disk storage What version of BE are you using and what kind of disks are you using?

Sharon_E
Level 3

I have backupexec 12.5

lenovo emc storage ix4-300d &

pkh
   VIP    Certified
O.k. My answers above applies. If you are ursine BE 2012, then the answers would be a bit different.

Sharon_E
Level 3

ok and in the job settings

I need to choose in device and media "when job begins"  append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If you are running the backup to backup to disk folder I would recommend , to set the Job to Overwrite (When the baackup runs it going to create .bkf files and if you set the job to append it will append the backup to the last bkf file which is appendable. So better is to set it to overwrite so if there are no Overitable bkf files it would create new. )

If it would be a tape I would set the Job to append, so that the backup is wirtten to the appendable tape .

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why are you repeating what I have said about writing to disk media?

Sharon_E
Level 3

thank you both for your help
pkh I will set up what you wrote

best regards

Sharon