cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difficulty backing up to network drive

msingerman
Level 2
Hello all,

I am trying to convince Backup Exec 11 to back up to a network drive.  The drive is on a non-Windows machine, but SMB is enabled and all permissions appear to be correct.  However, I continue to get this error:

Unable to create new backup folder. Access denied.

Some searching yielded me this webpage:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273224.htm

I followed the instrictions to make sure that Everyone has full control, but the error persists.  Any suggestions as to what it would be?
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just to double check the rights

Logon to the media server  as the BackupExec Service Account and map the share on the NAS

Can you still not create a new folder?

msingerman
Level 2
Hello Ken,

Do you mean log in with the main account?  I created a new account in Backup Exec by choosing Network->Logon Accounts and adding an account which does in fact have read/write access to that server.  I tested that account out by logging in manually, and it works fine.  Should I make that account the default account, or will that make any difference?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you make that new account the BackupExec service account (the account that BackupExec runs as)  you need to make sure that the new account also has rights to all other resources that you backup up as well

msingerman
Level 2
Hmm...  so does the default account have to have read/write access to the network drive, or does just any account have to have read/write access, and Backup Exec will figure it out on its own?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Well, you can specify a different account to use to attach to target resources during backups or restores, but you need the service account to have r/w access to the location of all B2D drives.

msingerman
Level 2
Aha!  That appears to have been it.  Thanks for your help!