Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

diffirencial vs incremental

Vagelisr
Level 2

Hi to all.

We stell use Bacup Exec 2010 R3

I Have create a job to take backup our file server and some old DB

The point is the job now is over 850GB and i want to create a new backup job and take 1 full backup every weekend and all the other days take diffirencial or incremental.

I want help in 2 things.

1)What is the best option in my case  Diffirencial or incremental and what is the difference between them.

2)What options i have to select to have the best result.

Thanks for your time.

PS:I'm sorry for my English.

1 REPLY 1

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

1)What is the best option in my case  Diffirencial or incremental and what is the difference between them.

Incremental backups up of all files that are new or changed since the last backup, whether it was a full or an incremental.
Differential backup will back up all selected files that are new and changed since the last full backup.

More details are documented in following technote :
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038289

NOTE: It is also important to understand the difference in case of restore as well:

Incremental : In the case of restoring with Incremental backups, all the Incremental backups since the last full backup plus the last full backup would be necessary.
Differential : You will need only the last full backup and the last differential to get a complete restore.

2)What options i have to select to have the best result.

If you have enough storage then it is best to go with differential backup as at the time of restore you would just need full and latest differential, otherwise go with incremental backups (note : all the Incremental backups since the last full backup plus the last full backup would be necessary for restore).

Thanks and regards,

Riyaj