cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable client side deduplication for Symantec backup exec 15 version 14.2

mmh2005
Level 3

everytime I get the message below after making the backup , it is a warning message , how can I disable the deduplication from the client side , the option is not appear in the BE .. please advise ..

Backup
Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used. Please check this link...
10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi, Check the TN below and see if this helps you: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041175 Thanks!

This article talking about how to enable the Deduplication on client side , I'm looking for how to disable it on client side , also this is not the BE version I'm using ..

attach please find the picture of the output error

please advise

Edit your backup job and change it from the default ( which is to use Client Side Dedupe)) to Server Side Dedupe.

I cannot see any option in the BE 15 to point the deduplication to be at storage side , only two options as you can see in the attached picture , :

1- enable the remote computer to directly access the storage device and to perform client side deduplication , if it is supported .

2- enable the remote computer to access the storage device through the backup exec server to perform backupexec server side deduplication , if it is supported.

I want to disable the client side deduplication to remove the message I always receive in the warning logs .

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Option 2 clearly states that the job is to use server-side dedup. Isn't that what you want? It is either client-side or server-side.

Do note that server-side dedup means more work for the BE server and your jobs may slow down as a result

BTW, Symantec no longer sells BE and you are on a Veritas forum

Thanks for your answer , May be I have misunderstanding between the server side and the Media Storage ( EMC DD2500 ) , the EMC DD2500 already have Deduplication hardware engine , I want to disable the deduplication from the client side or server side as it is already done in the Storage side .

Regards

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you licence Boost and is the device configured as an OST device? If not, then the dedup work is done by BE on either the remote server (client_side) or the BE server (server-side).

If it is configured as an OST device, then server-side means that the backup data go from the remote server to the BE server then to the device. Client-side in this case means that the backup data go directly from the remote server to the device

yes , the deduplication is licensing at the BE side ( without this license the BE will not be able to see the EMC DD device ) and the EMC DD is configured as OST device

any idea how to disable the client side deduplication to avoid the warning message .

Regards

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Just select server-side.

In storage view (Storage=>Details), at least when deduplication option of BE is used, there is also setting which can be used to disable/enable client side deduplication, have you check this setting?

....oops, I forgot I upgraded to BE16, so it looks like the place of definition has changed.