cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable overwriting

naveen_s
Level 4
hi, I'm new to veritas. How can I enable overwrite protection of a specific tape. I need to keep weekly backups safely, I need prevent those tapes from being overwritten. Is it possible to do? I want other week days tapes to be overwritten ?

naveen
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5

you cannot seup overwrite protection into a single media (a single tape). If you need to enable overwrite protection, you should create a media set and put that media into that media set. then you can setup overwrite protection into the media set.
  In your case, you'll have to create two media sets for weekdays backups and for the weekend backup (may be friday).  Move your weekdays backup medias to one set and weekend medias to the other media set. Also you'll need to create two seperate backup jobs for weekdays and weekend. You can schedule it as you need (1 for sun, mon, tue, wed  and 2 for friday) since you cannot assign two media sets to the same backup job.
  Then you can enable overwrite protection for the medai set which you have assigned for the weekend backup job. Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shirmal
Level 5

you cannot seup overwrite protection into a single media (a single tape). If you need to enable overwrite protection, you should create a media set and put that media into that media set. then you can setup overwrite protection into the media set.
  In your case, you'll have to create two media sets for weekdays backups and for the weekend backup (may be friday).  Move your weekdays backup medias to one set and weekend medias to the other media set. Also you'll need to create two seperate backup jobs for weekdays and weekend. You can schedule it as you need (1 for sun, mon, tue, wed  and 2 for friday) since you cannot assign two media sets to the same backup job.
  Then you can enable overwrite protection for the medai set which you have assigned for the weekend backup job. Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal

naveen_s
Level 4

hey, thanks for your quick responses.

naveen