cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disk-to-disk justification

Mike_Miller_2
Level 2
I'm trying to implement a disk-to-disk backup system but am getting some pushback from management. Of all you folks who have done this, what did you use for your justification? Was there a payback?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Robbie
Level 3
I have just implemented a Backup to Disk solution using Backup Exec 10 and Overland REO 4000.

The solution comprised of the REO backup to disk box and then a NEO tape library with 2 LTO-2 drives.

The justification was quite straight forward: faster backups (there was considerably more data to backup and less time to do it in) and restores needed to be performed instantly (near enough).

Since the tapes are taken away every day for off site storage (as everyone knows this is how it is meant to be) this causes a problem for instant restore. In addition the tape drives begin to struggle to backup the data in time (shrinking time window). Even with the LTO-2 drives backing up 12 servers ranging from 5Gb to 100Gb of data per server takes a long time. To disk its very very fast. Once on disk a more leasurely backup to tape can take place at the full speed of the tape drive (you don't have any OS over head which causes problems for faster tape drives esp LTO-3).

That was it! The fact the data could be backed up in the allowed window and then be available for restores immediately, and still have an offsite backup seemed a good justification.

It works really well when you ask people how much their data is worth often its more than the cost of implementing a better solution.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Mike_Miller_2
Level 2
This is good info. Do you (or anyone else) happen to have any stats, e.g. it used to take 10 hours to back up 10 servers to tape and now it takes 3, or it used to take 2 hours to restore a file and now it takes 10 minutes? I think that's what the management here wants to know. They like the concept but what is it really going to save them?

Robbie
Level 3
Well to give you some history on this one. Originally with this customer there were 4 servers being backed up to DLT. This took around 10 hours and getting longer (this is pushing the window for most people). So we implemented for them LTO-2 drives in the library(30 tapes including mail slot) I mentioned.

This cut the backup time down to 2 hours (pretty impressive).

SInce then however the number of servers has increased considerably, so has the amount of data (there is now a SAN in place). In addition the backup window is now 3 hours or less (the LTO-2 s are taking around 5 hours to do the job, includes Exchange, SQL etc, etc).

So next on the agenda was a backup to disk directly attached via Fibre Channel to the SAN. This cut it right back down again to the 2 hours to backup with little optimisation. Once completed the backup to tape begins, and runs at its own pace (now takes 3-4 hours to do its job as its directly backing up from the disks which is much faster).

So we end up with 2 backups local and offsite in around 5 hours which is the same as the backup to LTO-2 took before... Total data is about 400-500Gbs (I can't remember exactly). Now we can also implement day time differential or incremental backups too as it won't affect the users whatsoever, and run that off to tape as well, all in the course of a day! Its being considered LTO-3 next just to reduce the quantity of tapes stored, and we can always add another REO box to increase the disk capacity (currently 1.8Tb).

Hope this helps :)
Rob

Mike_Miller_2
Level 2
DId you also find the disk-to-disk to be more reliable as well? We often get failure errors not related to tape errors, do I'd hate to go promise we're going to get rid of all our backup failures and turned into a liar :-).

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following technote and its related documents.

Title:
How to create a Backup-to-Disk folder in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 and configure a Backup-to-Disk job
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266377

You may also refer the Admin Manual for more information.
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266190

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.