cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do really we need caso for replication ?

Allen_John
Level 4

do really we need caso license for replication ? i think that caso is only use for centralized management console and replication is a built-in feature of backup exec2012 with out any cost. we only need to buy a deduplication license

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. This is not true. I think you are referring to optimized duplication because there is no such thing as replication in BE. For optimized duplication you need to share the dedup folder of one media server with other media servers. This is only possible if you have CASO

Allen_John
Level 4

i want to replicate the backupexec backup sets from primary to dr site so that in disaster the data can be recovered. for this the dedup license required as well as caso license. correct ?

in any case we cannot ignore caso to replicate our backup sets from primary to dr site

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Do you have dedupe in place? Otherwise CASO should be able to be used to duplicate the backups from the MMS to the CASO (I would place it in the DR site).

Check the Admin Guide and read the CASO section for further information.

The assumption being made here is that you backup to disk and not tape? If it was tape you'd be able to drop the Enterprise Server Option license (which includes CASO) and take the tape to the DR site before running an Inventory/Catalog job and then restoring the data.

Thanks!

Allen_John
Level 4

no dedup is in place.i am planning to do it.it will be primary site media server disk to dr site media server disk replication. just let me know that for replicating the backupsets from primary site to dr. we must need caso+dedup license

Allen_John
Level 4

no dedup in place. our plan is to replicate the backup set from primary site backupexec server disk to dr site disk

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you a are not using optimized duplication then you don't need CASO. You just need to define a disk storage at the DR site and duplicate your backup sets to it

Allen_John
Level 4

for this i need to install another media server at dr site and create xyz configuration

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. This is not necessary