Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does BE implement data spooling?

robvanhooren
Level 2
hi,

Looking at BE 12.5 on Windows.

Does it (can it?) implement data spooling when backing up to tape?

All I can find is the B2D Folder device; is the spool concept not in BE?

(not B2D2T with a Duplication Job... since the staging disk array I have available is only 2TB, I'm after using it as a fill/drain spool to reduce shoe-shining for accomplishing dumps from a GigE-connected datastore on a 20TB OSX system off to SCSI-5 U320 LTO4).

Without a local spool, GigE gives me a ridiculously poor 750MB/min.  With spool I should be able to push the bottleneck out of the network, closer to the tape where it belongs.

Should I look at Bacula or Zmanda instead? 

Their implementation of spooling seems to be very clear; BE either seems to have it well-hidden, or not in the feature set at all.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
From what i understand, you are looking at staging data to disk and using it as buffer. I am not sure, how it works in other softwares, but in Backup Exec the only option you have is to stage it to backup to disk folder and then run a duplicate backup to tape drive.

Please mark it a solution, if it is useful.
Thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6
 I can't think of any main top tier backup product that offers what you want short of D2D2T.

Perhaps you should fix your network issues rather than ask for a feature requested by perhaps <1% of all customers?  shoeshining is a sign of poor network or system performance, not about buffer size...

robvanhooren
Level 2
well, I guess BE isn't up to the task then.

teiva-boy
Level 6
Same as is Legato, Arcserver, NetBackup, and TSM..  Yup, stick to opensource it has the feature you want.