cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup.

cypher
Level 4

I am having a heck of a time getting a "successful" exchange 2007 backup in Backup Exec 12.5.  We just purchased this software and spent quite a fortune on it.  I had issues in the past at another job with Backup Exec 10d, but I thought that maybe the new version 12.5 would of gotten better.  It's very frustrating and each time there's a different error.  So after the first round of errors where it couldn't "open a writer" or some sort, I rebooted the mail server.  Thinking that would of cleared the VSS or whatever "shadow copy" technology it's using, I attempted to schedule another full backup this weekend.  We want it to do full backups on the weekend, then incremental during the week.  I have the MS Information Stores on a seperate job.  There's another weekly job that does a full backup off of a bunch of servers, including the mail server, but it doesn't go into the MS exchange database.  We have it seperated because I don't want an exchange backup failure making our big backup job fail.

So now the new error is e00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup.  It says to review the job log for more information.  The job log states:

Backup- \\mail.ourdomain.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

But to contradict this error, in the Job History tab it shows that 24,531,725,038 bytes were written at 620.61 MB/Min from 4 AM to 5:03 AM Sunday morning.  So with all of that data being saved, what exactly is the problem?  With the job highlighted in red saying failed, my confidence level is pretty low if I would have to actually restore that data to a rebuilt failed server.  But then again everything in the Job History tab looks great.  It's only the Job Log tab with that one error.

Also note that the Exchange 2007 server is running fine.  Email is fast, OWA works, Outlook Anywhere works, you name it, no mail problems whatsoever.  Also note this is a new Exchange server that was just put into service in mid December 2008.

If you need any more information feel free to ask.  I'm just looking to have successful backups out of over 10 grand worth of software.

Thanks!

Message Edited by cypher on 02-01-2009 12:02 PM
10 REPLIES 10

cypher
Level 4
So far the nightly incrementals have been completing sucessfully, both Sunday night and Monday night.

Anup
Level 6
Certified

Exchange Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) based backups may receive a jet database error -528 or "Database was not found, or could not be accessed" when backing up to a remote Backup to Disk folder (B2D) that is located on a NAS device

http://support.veritas.com/docs/305877

cypher
Level 4

I'm not seeing any jet database errors or database was not found, but I do see the current log file is missing.

The link you provided is not helping.  I need to direct this job to a NAS device, it's all we've got at this point.  If I disable GRT then what was the point in going with Symantec?  Is there any other option that can be done?  Are backups just as good without GRT?  That was a feature highly touted by Symantec and now your going to tell me it doesn't work?  I really don't like their business practices.  

This error happened again last night for a full backup.  Incremental (Logs Only) work fine, but not Full (Flush Committed Logs).

Job ended: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 at 3:22:20 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-759

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- \\mail.ourdomain.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '
Backup- \\mail.ourdomain.com\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

Anup
Level 6
Certified

If you enable the debugg logging ,it will show the error in debug log.

Do you hav enough space on local drive. Try backing up to local disk and then run duplicate to NAS.

Second thing you can do is , Run a FULL NON GRT backup to NAS  without AOFO, which will flush the logs.

After that immediately run the GRT backup to NAS without AOFO.

cypher
Level 4

Ok I ran a full NON GRT backup to the NAS without AOFO.  Tonight I will turn GRT back on and see if it works.  I'll post back if it does or does not.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cypher
Level 4

Ok backup failed again.  So doing a full non GRT backup, then the next night doing a full GRT backup has no affect.

What are you saying I should do now?  Backup to a local directory and then perhaps run a batch script that moves it to the NAS and schedule it in Task Scheduler?  What's with all of these workarounds all the time?  Why can't Symantec products just WORK as advertised?!!

Job ended: Friday, February 06, 2009 at 3:07:52 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-759

Message Edited by cypher on 02-06-2009 04:52 AM

Anup
Level 6
Certified

There is an option Duplicate Backup jobs in BEWS.

You can use that instead of scripts 

GRT Backups are supposed to be taken to Local NTFS volume

according to best practices and recommendations.

ewadmin
Level 4

Guys,

Just read through this thread, and feel I can answer a couple of the questions that have been brought up. I have struggled with Exchange backups in three sites for a year and a half.  GRT backups have worked in two, but not in the third site.

First off, non-GRT backups have proven to be more reliable and work very well.  The caveat is that you have to restore an entire Storage Group to a Restore Storage Group on the Exchange server, then the Exchange admin can manually extract what he needs to restore.  You have to have enough disk space on the Exchange server to be able to do this.

The second misconception I see in your thread is the statement that "GRT Backups are 'supposed' to be taken to a local NTFS volume...".  Actually GRT backups MUST go to a B2D folder on a local NTFS volume; that has always been the case.  So you have to have a lot of local disk on the media server.  Then you can use the duplicate backups option to make a copy to your NAS or Tape.  In fact you have to do this if you need to retain you backup for ny length of time.

But keep in mind that once you have overwritten that local B2D backup and try to restore from the NAS or Tape, even though you can select individual items, BE has to have enough temp space to restore the entire storage group to get that one mail item.

I upgraded to 12.5 a couple of weeks ago and that has helped the GRT backups in my problem site, but I still have one Storage Group failing with the same e00002f7 error you are getting, even though the other 6 SGs were successful.  I am trying to figure that one out.

Hope this info helps.

ewadmin
Level 4

I stand corrected.  I just read that you can backup to a non-local location with BE12.x.  I've been working with it since 11d, when you could not do that, so I was not aware of this new capabiliy.  But there are some dependencies, particularly that you must have a minimum amount of local NTFS disk space for temp staging.  Here is a link to that doc:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/299350

JoeDig
Level 2

Cypher,

Did you find a resolution to this?

I have just begun having the same issue, the backups worked perfectly OK for the first two week after deploying BE12.5 but now I am getting the following:

\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-528 The current log file is missing. '

Set type               : Backup
Set status             : Completed
Set description        : Full A Block Servers

Resource name          : \\Server\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
Logon account          : System Logon Account
Encryption used        : None

Error                  : e0008445 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

Agent used                     : Yes
Advanced Open File Option used : Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)

Byte count             : 14,558,130,570 bytes
Rate                   : 162.00 MB/Min

Files                  : 0
Directories            : 0
Skipped files          : 0
Corrupt files          : 0
Files in use           : 0

Start time             : 24 February 2009 00:54:32
End time               : 24 February 2009 00:54:48

General information    : Media Label: IMG000155;

GRT backup set folder: \\NAS 1\Tape06\IMG000155 

I can assure anyone who reads this, that I nor any user cancelled this backup at 00:54 in the morning.

When running the backup on its own and appending it to the nightly backup the job completes successfully both to a NAS and local drive.