cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e00002fe - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials.

James_Walton
Level 4

Hi

Full error e00002fe - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.

I am getting the above error on a backup to tape job that is backing up the Exchange 2003 information store. Exchange is on a win 2003 R2 x64 server and Backup Exec is on win svr 2008 ent R2. Backup exec is 2010R3 version 13.0 rev 5204 x64 SP2, with hotifxes 180429 and 176937 installed.

The job runs fine for about 30 mins each time, with a byte count of 64GB, then fails. The credentials are fine - I use the same ones for another job that backs up the same data to disk.

I have installed the hotfix and rebooted as advised by technote http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH172067

What could be the problem?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

If you run the same job to disk instead of tape, does it fail as well?

skyisnotthelimi
Level 2

In the backup exec console, click on tools>>>Options>>>Exchange. Enable legacy mailbox support and then click on OK. Now go to the selection list and try to expand Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes. If you get any errors while expanding it, that means the issue is with the credentials.If the issue is with the credentials then you need to check below requirements :

1. the account that you are using for exchange backups, should be a domain admin account. It should be a part of local admins group on the Exchange server itself.

2. It should have an active mailbox associated with it.( for the user that you are using for backing up exchange)

3. Make sure that account is a part of :

Administrators
Domain Admins
Backup operators
Exchange Enterprise Servers
Exchange Domain Servers
Local Admin on the Exchange Server
EXCHANGE FULL ADMINISTRATOR

Let me know if it helps you.

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Try adding the host file entries as mentioned in the following article :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH86155

Also try steps mentioned in Technote : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64095 (Granular Restore Technology (GRT) enabled backup of the Exchange Information Store fails with error "Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials")

Hope this helps.

James_Walton
Level 4

It runs fine if I change the device to a backup to disk folder.

James_Walton
Level 4

I enabled legacy support and tried to expand mailboxes, it came up with a credentials error.

1. The account has always been a domain admin and part of local admins on exchange server (this problem only seemed to start after upgrading to 2010 R3 I think)

2. Really? We never needed this in the past. And the same job works fine to disk. It only fails when backing up to tape.

3. The account is not a member of Exchange Ent Servers or Exchange Domain Servers

The account has not changed for years. It has always been a member of the same groups. The job worked fine up until we upgraded to 2010 R3 (I think). The job works fine if we backup to disk, but always fails with the same credentials error if we backup to tape.

skyisnotthelimi
Level 2

Above mentioned are the pre-requisites for exchange backups. Mapi comes into the picture when you run your backups on tape. That is the reason it works fine on the disk so please make the changes mentioned above and that should fix your issue.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Generally speaking, when we run into an issue like this where it runs fine to a backup to disk folder and not to a tape, there is a problem with Mapi on the Exchange server.

When you backup to disk all the GRT processing is done on the media server, but when you backup to tape all of the GRT processing is done on the Exchange server.  If you were to turn off the GRT functionality with your backup to tape, the job would most likely be successful.

One of the first things I would do is run MFCMapi on the Exchange server to verify you can browse mailboxes via Mapi.  Make sure when you run this test that you are logged on to the Exchange server as the same account that you are using for the backup.

MFCMapi - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53597