cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e0008130-The tape drive is unable to decrypt the data on the tape

larrycommand
Level 2

I have a client running Backup Exec 12.0 fully updated and it seems that since Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2 was installed on some existing Ultrium 4 media sets all the tapes are suddenly becoming unusable with e0008130 errors as listed in the title of this dicussion.  The media group tape members  were brought in to service at different times with assorted ages--none older than a year.  The client has two sets of five running every week night.  Therefore the media has only been used every other week for less than a year.  This all seemed to start happening after installing the Endpoint Protection (not positive this is causing the issue--just wanted to make mention) and also right after this years Daylight Savings Time change on March 10, 2013.  The tape drive and software were in service for over a year with no issues.  Previous version of virus protectioin was Symantec Client Security. The issue is first discovered in the morning when during the evening at the beginning of a scheduled backup the tape will eject wih a zero byte count status.  I will try to reinitialize the tape with either a quick or long erase and will then receive the e0008130 error.  The tape is totally unusable at that point. We can replace the tapes and continue to get clean backups but this is becoming very expensive and a regular occurance. Please help.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...do you perhaps have encryption selected in the job itself?

larrycommand
Level 2

I just double checked to make sure and encrytion is not enabled in any way.

larrycommand
Level 2

Just a thought.  Is there any lower level tape initialize than the short or long erase to bring these tapes back in service?  Being that they cost 40.00ish dollars each...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if they are encrypted and you can't restore the data, then either an erase job or moving them to the Scratch set would make them overwritable.

Also make sure that BE 12.5 is fully patched with the latest SP and any subsequent patches, and that these have been push-installed to any remote servers you might have.

Lastly, make sure you're using the Symantec drivers for the tape drive.

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Your tape drive is LTO4, right?

Are you using a stand-alone drive or is it in a robotic library?

If it is a robotic library, which one?

Is there any chance that encryption was enabled in the library itself?  This is usually called LME (library managed encryption) and would be completely transparent to Backup Exec.  I don't think LME tapes could be erased by BE v12, but I am not sure.

Please post your adamm.log here, either the whole log file or just the section that matches this:

0007:0000:0033:0000  Device Name             "\\.\Tape1"
                     Secondary Name      
                     Primary Inquiry         "IBM     ULT3580-HH5     B6W1"
                     Serial Number           "IBM     ULT3580-HH5     1068123732"
                     Device Flags            UMD, SCSI, SN(TYPE 0)
                     Device State            3, Online

Device IDs              1031, {FDC6EAAA-09B1-439A-95F6-82F621F2935F}
                     Device Name             "Tape drive 01"
                     Device Type             134283265, "LTO 64K (64K,10,0,E,HU)"
                     Device Features         0x005BFA7F: PB,SFB,SRB,WFM,SFF,SRM,PEOD,EL,LU,E,SBS,DC,SDC,TA,HU,RR,W,EN
                     Device Element          1032, 0
                     Device Block Limits     512 min, 1048576 max
                     Device Hard Errors      0 write, 0 read
                     Device Soft Errors      0 write, 0 read

Can you post a SCSI trace or an erase attempt at one of these media?  I am curious to see exactly what is coming from the tape drive.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49432

Troubleshooting hardware with Backup Exec for Windows Servers using the SCSI Trace Utility (tracer.exe).