cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e000959a - An attempt to take a snapshot of a virtual machine failed because it was unable to quiesce an application

mike915
Level 4

When doing backups of VM servers I get the following error and some of my backups don't comlete.

e000959a - An attempt to take a snapshot of a virtual machine failed because it was unable to quiesce an application

This happens with both Full backups and Differentials.  I am running Backup Exec 2012 fully patched.  The VMWare environment is version 5.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Have a look at the following doc 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129724

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

Do you have the remote agent installed on your server?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I hope that you are not using ESX 5.1 because it is not supported.

See whether you can take a manual snapshot of the machine.

mike915
Level 4

@Imosla,  I do not have the remote agent installed on any of the Virtual servers.  I am using the VMWare agent on the media server to do the backups.

@pkh,  We are running ESX 5.

lmosla
Level 6

Is GRT enabled for your backups?  If it is make sure you install the Remote Agent on the guest machine (s).

mike915
Level 4

No GRT is not enabled for our backups.

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I think I've seen this error before. Are you using a snapshotting technology based on VSS? Is it taking a backup at the same time?

On one of the failed machines can you perform the following commands and give us the output?

vssadmin list writers

vssadmin list providers

villeah
Level 5
I solved similar problem by stopping and disabling following services on guest machines BackupExecVSSProvider VMware Snapshot Provider This of cource depends on which snapshot provider you are using.