cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'en cola'

Oriol_Cerba
Level 3

Buenos dias.

Tenemos instalado un Veritas Backup Exec 12.5 y acabo de adquirir nuevos soportes (hp lto-3 ultrium RW). Disponemos de una biblioteca robótica Hp 1x8 G2 AUTOLDR.

Aunque la capacidad es de 800Gb, cuando la copia llega a las 400Gb, el trabajo se queda 'en cola' y no da ningún tipo de alarma, por lo que no acabo de entender que sucede. En tipo de soporte los parámetros son :

tipos soporte : LTO3,

Grupo de soportes : conservar datos indefinidamente, no permitir,

protecion reemplazo : Infinito-No permitir reemplazo

Agregable hasta : No agregable (soportes completos)

Admite cifrado de hardware : No

En lista de soportes, me aparece la misma etiqueta con dos descripciones, una que dice soporte desconocido, y otra en blanco, con propiedades distintas en cuanto al dato agregable hasta que en una indica 'No agregable' y en el otro indica 'Infinito permitir agregacion'. En este último en propiedades me da que no hay datos copiados.

Gracias.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Run tapeinst.exe from BE installation directory to install symantec drivers.

It is enabled on device, but backup job also should be configured to use Compression. Check in Job properties/description. 

EDIT: Have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH6098

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Proceeding with translation provided by Google...

LTO 3 tapes are of capactiy 400GB in native mode and 800GB in compressed mode. This doesn't mean an LTO tape can hold 800GB of data always, but it can hold a minimum of 400GB (without considering overheads). If the data that is being backedup is highly compressible then you can see more than 800GB of data being save on LTO 3 tape. 

Infinite-Appendable: This is media set property, which will let the data to be appended to tape untill it becomes full.

Not Appendable-Media Full: This is current state of media. As it is full, no data can be appended to it.

As soon as the media becomes full, there should be an alert asking you to insert an overwritable media into the drive and respond to it, incase if you do not have any recyclable/Scratch media available in the library. Please check in Alerts tab.

Oriol_Cerba
Level 3

Thanks, but i've checked the alerts tab and ther's not new alerts. The only change i can see is that in task status is 'queued'

On the other hand, on tapes i've been using, with the same data to be backed up , untill 700 Gb were hold , so I can understand why now only can hold 400Gb.

Finally, to allow to append new data, I supose the only task to do is to erase old data. My I need to change label , nor import the tape?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...check for Hard Write errors on the tapes in question, especially if they held more data on them. Excessive write errors on the tape can indicate that they are faulty.

Also make sure you are using the Symantec drivers for the tape drive, and not the manufacturer's drivers, and that compression is still turned on.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have compression enabled in the backup job? 

According to the media set configuration (With Infinite Overwrite Protection and Infinite Append period), Backup Exec never re-uses the media automatically. Is that what you intended to have in-place?

Finally, to allow to append new data, I supose the only task to do is to erase old data. My I need to change label , nor import the tape?

The backup is in middle and if you erase the media that is used with this backup, no use even if you get BE to append the remaining data. You can erase the tapes that are holding data that is nomore required. once that tape is Scratch media, BE should be continuing backup to it.

Recheck your media set configurations against retention requirements.

CraigV

Sorry Kiran, but how do you get more than 2:1 compression on a tape? I've never heard of this from any vendor, considering their best for the LTO format is 2:1...

An LTO3 tape is 400GB native, and 800GB 2:1 compressed...no way to get more than 800GB on that tape, no matter how compressible the data...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have seen this in so many environments i am supporting with different backup applications even with BE and NBU. Not just once, number of times. I even remembering other users (i think andy) in forum referring to that very recently. Let me check if i can post the link here.

Edit: Infront of NMC.. Posting a SS of media details... LTO5 medias

CraigV

I'd be keen to see the compression stats...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

2:1 is the average compression provided by the common compression algorithms used by hardware and software vendors as a guide and for their quoted figures. If you have a subset of data that is highly compressible that is not mixed up with data that is either not compressible or only provides very low compression rates then you can get higher than 2:1. However is most corporate environments the typical data set would compress between about 1.5:1 and 2:1

Oriol_Cerba
Level 3

.. No hard write errors are reported , and only 26 write errors reported.

Now i'm using manufacturer's drive. In unit properties, configuration, compression is activated.

Could you please tell me where I can find symantec drivers ??

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Run tapeinst.exe from BE installation directory to install symantec drivers.

It is enabled on device, but backup job also should be configured to use Compression. Check in Job properties/description. 

EDIT: Have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH6098

Oriol_Cerba
Level 3

Now I'm baking up some files so I'll change the drivers later.

In job properties I've hardware, if not none. I've changed this to 'Hardware, if not , software'

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think the trypical compression ratio is even lower, more like 1.2 - 1.3

CraigV

Colin: I would be very interested to know if BE is capable of getting anything better than 2:1, and NOT on text files only.

I haven't seen this...I believe IBM follows a 3:1 compression ration but this falls outside of the standards for LTO it seems...

Thanks!

King_Julien
Level 5

Anda a la solapa de alertas y responde todas las que tengas, no importa lo que sean, dale OK a todo.

A veces pasa que por una alerta olvidada, te jode la vida. 

Saludo,.

Oriol_Cerba
Level 3

Gracias.

Resuelto el problema

CraigV

Cleared the solution...please explain how accepting all alerts fixed your compression problem...

Thanks!

King_Julien
Level 5

CraigV, Some alerts can bother if are not replied in time and you leave them there, I mean, they still there waitnig for a "Yes, ok, do it" or a "No, dont' do it", some of these are most regarding to media you know, like "Tape 00001L3 is write protected, are you sure you want to delete it", that alert message is linked to a backup job, and I saw several times that one specific job didn't run because an alert wasn't replied for months. I saw it a lot times when I worked as a TSE for Sym; Or pause/unapause the server, that was the second thing I do when I face some issue like this; If this doesn't work then I check what are you trynig to backup, (a SQL db, exchange, etc..) and then I login on those servers to check if everything is ok. It's a time consuming task if none of those works. Hope it helps for start a basic troubleshooting.

Oriol, espero que hayas podido resolver el problema limpiado las alertas. Saludos! 

EDIT: I can´t remember the exact text of the warning for "Tape 00001L3 is write protected, are you sure you want to delete it" but it was something like that. 

CraigV

I understand that...well aware! HOWEVER...the OP enquired about tape compression, a physical issue. So how does an alert ensure that a tape doesn't get decent compression. I've seen a lot of forum topics, and done a lot of work with BE (9.1, 10d, 11d, 12.5, 2010 R1/R2/R3) and never seen or heard of an alert causing compression issues.

That is why the solution has been cleared pending proper explanation. WHat you have added above doesn't tie in with what you stated or the OP is experiencing.

Thanks!

King_Julien
Level 5

Well, I was talking about the "en cola" issue, (queued), not about the compression .