cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error e0000602 on duplicate jobs

Sergio_Graziosi
Not applicable
Hi everybody,
I have a full backup running daily on a win2003 64x R2 box, the target is an lto3 tape (external), it is set to overwrite the target tape. I want to replicate it to a NAS (backup to disk), the duplicate backup set starts upon completion of the full backup and creates the following in its job history log:

Set Detail Information - Duplicate \\server1\C:
Set type               : DuplicateSet status             : CompletedSet description        :
Resource name          : \\
server1\C:Logon account          : Encryption key         : No
Error                  : e0000602 - A query for media on which the data set being read is continued was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged.

Byte count             : 0 bytesRate                   : 0.00 MB/Min
Files                  : 0Directories            : 0Skipped files          : 0Corrupt files          : 0Files in use           : 0
Start time             : 11 March 2008 01:00:00End time               : 11 March 2008 02:46:25

this sort of error is duplicated numerous times, one entry for each resource for each time the original job was executed.

The last entries on the log report a success, there is one entry for each resource only.

The whole job is marked as "failed", with the job log reporting:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: 12 March 2008 at 02:03:23
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000602 - A query for media on which the data set being read is continued was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-1538

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Duplicate- \\server2\System?StateThe query for media sequence number 1 of this media family was unsuccessful.

Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged.

I did check the above link with no luck: the reg key "Use Fast File Restore " was already set to 1.

My impression is that the duplicate job is trying to replicate all the sets that where created by the source job and not just the current one, it looks for the old data (that has been overwritten) and reports the failure. Is this by design? Isn't it possible to replicate just the last backup job? If what I fear it's true, it would make the whole duplicate feature rather useless for us.
I am currently testing all this: ideally, if I'll ever reach production stage, the nas will be placed off site and we will manually change the tape daily, following a suitable media recycle scheme. I want backup exec to send me email alerts on failed jobs and I can't afford having it to generate one failure event per day, not even if the duplication was actually performed.
Does anybody know where's the catch?

Thanks,
Sergio
2 REPLIES 2

t-work
Level 3

we have the same thing happening here - with 12.5.

The registry key is set as described but not in the HKLM/...Veritas/... but in the HKLM/.../Symantec/ section.

Seems to be a beginners' problem - can't believe this beeing an error.

Anyone knows where the point is?

Thank you in advance!

Thomas

thezip
Not applicable

Same issue.  The KB article is very outdated obviously referencing the Veritas key.  Have not found any other things to pursue if this value is properly set.

This only happens on the first duplication to a tape set for me.  The succeeding ones are generally all successful.  I inventory and label my media every week as they are replaced.  I performed a second inventory after labelling all my media with no success either.