cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error e0009741 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images.

AscomITNL
Level 3

Hi,

We are currently evaluating the VMWare agent before purchasing it.

Everything works fine, I can backup and restore complete VMs.

The problem we're having is when we try to restore files to a VM using Granular Recovery Technology.

After the restore starts and it's pre-processing, the error e0009741 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images. Restores that use Granulay Recovery Technology may not be available from this backup set, occurs.

I can't imagine why I fails to mount any disk images since they're just made to a backup to disk folder before the restore in the backup job.

As the requirements state I have installed the VMWare Remote agent on the VM I'm trying to use GRT on. The VM also shows up in the restore selections and I'm able to select the individual files for restore.

The Backup Exec server also has the VCB framework and VMware Converter installed.

Does anyony know a fix for this problem? We´d like to get this to work before we buy the agent. I have searched the internet, but there´s not much to be found on this topic.

Thanks, Robin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AscomITNL
Level 3

OK, here's the follow-up

After spending a couple of hours with Symantec Support on the phone we were able to pinpoint the problem which kick-started me to solve the problem. I will list the steps I took with support and what I did to solve the problem. After that I will list some tips I used for setting up a working solution.

After going through the usual settings check, installation location and stuff like that I had to create a restore job that had to be submitted on hold. Before taking it off hold the ‘Backup Exec Debug Monitor' had to be started, which basically logs what BE is doing. It can be found under the Symantec Progam Files directory. Look for ‘SGMon.exe'.

We selected the following components to be captured and to ‘Capture to File':

• Job Engine, RAWS, Agent Browser
  • Backup Exec Server
  • Device and Media
  • Catalog

After taking the job off hold we were able to see the command BE executed with errors. Don't mind the word warp, the command is executed as one line:

"E:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\mountvm.exe" -cycleId -nodl -rw  -d "F:\IMG000008\scsi0-0-0-VirtualMachine.vmdk" "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\BEV67.tmp"

At this point the support representative told me that I should contact VMWare, since ‘mountvm' is a VMWare tool. I decided to dig into the problem a bit more, before I would contact VMWare.

So I tried executing the command in a command prompt and ended up with the following error message. I ‘X'-ed out the username:

[2009-02-11 15:04:24.515 'MountVM' 7812 error] Error: Cannot open disk f:\img000008\scsi0-0-0-VirtualMachine.vmdk. Cannot open disk file: Error : Failed to create temporary file "C:\DOCUME~1\XXXXXX~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\vmware-SYSTEM\vmware-temp\scsi0-0-0-VirtualMachine.vmdk.TMPREDO_000036320": Access is denied.

Unable to open 'f:\img000008\scsi0-0-0-VirtualMachine.vmdk'. Failed to configure disk  scsi0:0.

Deleted directory C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\BEV67.tmp

I suspected it was a permission problem, so after trying different stuff and some digging on the internet I found the following threads on the VMWare Community forum:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/143590

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/175810

So, turns out that restarting the ‘VMWare Virtual Mount Manager Extended'-service resolves the problem. I restarted the service and tried to execute the command again in command prompt. Now I was able to mount the vmdk file.

So I unmounted the vmdk file again with "E:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\mountvm.exe" -u "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\BEV67.tmp"

I restarted the Mount Manager service again to be sure and retried the restore job. The job completed successfully and the individual files are restored to the virtual machine.

Now I'm going to contact VMWare if there will be a fix for this problem.

Here are some tips for the overall backup solution that helped me getting it to work:

• I used Symantec's recommended configuration installing the Backup Exec media server, VMWare VCB Framework and temporary staging on the same server.

• For restoring complete VMs I wasn't able to use the VMWare Converter version 4.x.x for some reason. It kept telling me that VMWare Converter wasn't installed when trying to restore a VM. Since the documentation refers to VMWare Converter Version 3.0.2 I installed that and everything worked fine.

• I changed the ‘VMWare Virtual Mount Manager Extended' service‘s logon account to be run under the same domain account the Backup Exec Services Account is running under. You can add this account in VMWare Virtual Center to give it permission to be able to backup your Virtual Machines.

• Don't forget to install the BE Remote Agent on the VM you'd like to be able to restore individual files to. This is the only way if you want to do a single-pass backup and be able to do a complete restore of the VM as well as restoring individual files and folders.

• Backup Exec preferences for VMWare Agent:
    • I use VCB compact to compact the vmdk files and export it as a single file.
    • Use Backup Exec Granular Recovery Technology checkbox if you want to restore individual files and folders.
Message Edited by AscomITNL on 02-13-2009 01:39 AM
Message Edited by AscomITNL on 02-13-2009 01:41 AM

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AscomITNL
Level 3

Since there's no one out there yet that can help me with this problem, I thought I'd update this thread with what we've been up to, to try to solve the problem:

We've reinstalled our backup server, installing a clean Windows Storage Server 2003 onto it, and after that reinstalled Backup Exec. Our evaluation period of the VMWare Agent was passed, so we had to anyway, since it's not working yet.

Before we reinstalled the backup server, I set up a VM to be able to test the restoring of the old Backup Exec database to the newly installed server.

Since I had this VM setup so far I'd thought I test out the Granular Restore on it, so I configured the VM with the VCB framework, setup VMWare Converter, installed Microsoft iSCSI initiator to be able to connect to the VMFS volume (be sure to disable automount in diskpart utility before connecting) and added the VMWare Agent in Backup Exec.

I made a backup of a VM with the GRT settings enabled and after that was done tried to restore some files to the VM.

The error message was exactly the same: ERROR e0009741

It can't mount the virtual disk image!

I don't have a clue what's wrong! Do I have to change settings in the VCB framework config.js file or something?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks, Robin

AscomITNL
Level 3

Well, we ended up buying the agent since we haven't solved the problem. I received the license numbers this morning and I'm now going to activate and then call support in order to try to solve this problem...

Since our $udhir isn't answering any questions on this support forum. But then again, maybe that's Symantec sales strategy. Just let them buy the software before we solve the issue! Smiley Mad

AscomITNL
Level 3

OK, here's the follow-up

After spending a couple of hours with Symantec Support on the phone we were able to pinpoint the problem which kick-started me to solve the problem. I will list the steps I took with support and what I did to solve the problem. After that I will list some tips I used for setting up a working solution.

After going through the usual settings check, installation location and stuff like that I had to create a restore job that had to be submitted on hold. Before taking it off hold the ‘Backup Exec Debug Monitor' had to be started, which basically logs what BE is doing. It can be found under the Symantec Progam Files directory. Look for ‘SGMon.exe'.

We selected the following components to be captured and to ‘Capture to File':

• Job Engine, RAWS, Agent Browser
  • Backup Exec Server
  • Device and Media
  • Catalog

After taking the job off hold we were able to see the command BE executed with errors. Don't mind the word warp, the command is executed as one line:

"E:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\mountvm.exe" -cycleId -nodl -rw  -d "F:\IMG000008\scsi0-0-0-VirtualMachine.vmdk" "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\BEV67.tmp"

At this point the support representative told me that I should contact VMWare, since ‘mountvm' is a VMWare tool. I decided to dig into the problem a bit more, before I would contact VMWare.

So I tried executing the command in a command prompt and ended up with the following error message. I ‘X'-ed out the username:

[2009-02-11 15:04:24.515 'MountVM' 7812 error] Error: Cannot open disk f:\img000008\scsi0-0-0-VirtualMachine.vmdk. Cannot open disk file: Error : Failed to create temporary file "C:\DOCUME~1\XXXXXX~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\vmware-SYSTEM\vmware-temp\scsi0-0-0-VirtualMachine.vmdk.TMPREDO_000036320": Access is denied.

Unable to open 'f:\img000008\scsi0-0-0-VirtualMachine.vmdk'. Failed to configure disk  scsi0:0.

Deleted directory C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\BEV67.tmp

I suspected it was a permission problem, so after trying different stuff and some digging on the internet I found the following threads on the VMWare Community forum:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/143590

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/175810

So, turns out that restarting the ‘VMWare Virtual Mount Manager Extended'-service resolves the problem. I restarted the service and tried to execute the command again in command prompt. Now I was able to mount the vmdk file.

So I unmounted the vmdk file again with "E:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\mountvm.exe" -u "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\BEV67.tmp"

I restarted the Mount Manager service again to be sure and retried the restore job. The job completed successfully and the individual files are restored to the virtual machine.

Now I'm going to contact VMWare if there will be a fix for this problem.

Here are some tips for the overall backup solution that helped me getting it to work:

• I used Symantec's recommended configuration installing the Backup Exec media server, VMWare VCB Framework and temporary staging on the same server.

• For restoring complete VMs I wasn't able to use the VMWare Converter version 4.x.x for some reason. It kept telling me that VMWare Converter wasn't installed when trying to restore a VM. Since the documentation refers to VMWare Converter Version 3.0.2 I installed that and everything worked fine.

• I changed the ‘VMWare Virtual Mount Manager Extended' service‘s logon account to be run under the same domain account the Backup Exec Services Account is running under. You can add this account in VMWare Virtual Center to give it permission to be able to backup your Virtual Machines.

• Don't forget to install the BE Remote Agent on the VM you'd like to be able to restore individual files to. This is the only way if you want to do a single-pass backup and be able to do a complete restore of the VM as well as restoring individual files and folders.

• Backup Exec preferences for VMWare Agent:
    • I use VCB compact to compact the vmdk files and export it as a single file.
    • Use Backup Exec Granular Recovery Technology checkbox if you want to restore individual files and folders.
Message Edited by AscomITNL on 02-13-2009 01:39 AM
Message Edited by AscomITNL on 02-13-2009 01:41 AM