cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error - mount failed user canceled a physical volume library operation

Hassan_Ali
Level 3
My backup tapes run fine everyday(5 days a week), but a month or 2 ago the Tuesday backup failed a few times. I thought it was the tape (which was brand new) so threw this in the bin and used another brand new tape. Worked fine I think for the first 3 times then it started failing to backup once again ONLY on Tuesday's. I have checked all settings to see if they match the other day's settings (in Job Setup) and all seems fine. Now I cannot have 2 faulty brand new tapes. We use a Sony Tape drive. The error in the subject line appears in Job Monitor\Job Log. PLEASE HELP! I am still a novice with Veritas so please provide instructions of what you want me to do. I did a 1gig read/write test (utility tool by Sony software) and this has worked fine on the Tuesday's tape.
11 REPLIES 11

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following technote and verify the possible causes for this issue.
Title:
"User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation" (a000810f HEX or e000810f HEX) is reported in the backup job log when attempting to run a backup operation.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/246967

Do revert with the results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Hassan_Ali
Level 3
I get the following in Event Viewer:(********** = edited server name)

Event Type:Information
Event Source:Backup Exec
Event Category:None
Event ID:58061
Date:06/07/2005
Time:02:01:07
User:N/A
Computer:**********
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Media Insert
(Server: "**********") (Job: "Tuesday001") Please insert overwritable media into the drive.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

Respond Yes to acknowledge.
Respond No to retry the operation.
Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

Like I said before, the tape is in the drive when I have inserted it during the day. The backup takes place at 2am, when I come back in the morning to check the tape has ejected. This is the 2nd brand new tape I have tried as i said in my previous email. the tape is NOT write protected and I don't know what it means by append periods?. this only happens to Tuesday's tape as the previous tape had the same problem (on Tuesday's tape).

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Your current media rotation scheme causes backup exec to run out of overwritable media each Tuesday.

Whan a job is submitted to backup exec:
1. It checks whether the job is set to overwrite the tapes or to append to them. Accordingly it will check for overwritable/Appendable tape in the targetted media set, if none is present here it checks either for scratch or recyclable media(Check the technotes provided for definition).

2. The search will depend on the setting made in Tool>Options> Media management. Overwrite recyclable media first or overwrite scratch media first.

3. When Backup Exec comes across several media in the desired category it goes for the oldest overwritable media available.

4. After this entire operation if still no overwritable media is found backup exec displays an alert for the operator to insert an overwritable media(This is what is happening in your case)

5. If operator fails to provide the overwritable media the job fails with the error that you have.

6. In order to avoid this situtation, check the number of media sets you have and the OPP and AP set on these media sets. Create and configure the media sets and their OPP and AP according to your requirements, so that each job has sufficient media to complete.

7. To better understand media management please refer the media management chapter in backup exec admin guide. and the following two technotes:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265
admin guide:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266190

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Hassan_Ali
Level 3
I will try an answer your questions as best as I can…
See A for my answers:

Hello,

Your current media rotation scheme causes backup exec to run out of overwritable media each Tuesday.

Whan a job is submitted to backup exec:
1. It checks whether the job is set to overwrite the tapes or to append to them. Accordingly it will check for overwritable/Appendable tape in the targetted media set, if none is present here it checks either for scratch or recyclable media(Check the technotes provided for definition).
A. This is set to ‘append’. In the Media bar - Tuesday’s set sits in ‘retired media’ – is there a reason why it’s done this on two brand new tapes?
Media Overwrite Protection in Tools\Options\Backup is set to:
‘Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is available

2. The search will depend on the setting made in Tool>Options> Media management. Overwrite recyclable media first or overwrite scratch media first.
A. ‘retired media’ as suggested so does this apply to me?

3. When Backup Exec comes across several media in the desired category it goes for the oldest overwritable media available.
A. Would it be feasible for me to delete the contents of the Retired Media?

4. After this entire operation if still no overwritable media is found backup exec displays an alert for the operator to insert an overwritable media(This is what is happening in your case)
A. Correct

5. If operator fails to provide the overwritable media the job fails with the error that you have.
A. This is set to ‘overwrite media’ in Tuesdays Device and Media properties.

6. In order to avoid this situtation, check the number of media sets you have and the OPP and AP set on these media sets. Create and configure the media sets and their OPP and AP according to your requirements, so that each job has sufficient media to complete.
A. OPP set to NONE, AP set to ‘Infinite – Allow APPEND’
OPP is grayed out however I can change the AP.

The way our tape rotation works is set to full backups everyday.

Mon,Tues,Wed,Thurs (Fri 1)
Mon,Tues,Wed,Thurs (Fri 2)
Mon,Tues,Wed,Thurs (Fri 3)
Mon,Tues,Wed,Thurs (Fri 4 kept stored away for a year.)

We have had Veritas software since last year, Summer 2004 and have never had this problem until the last 2 months. So I ask why now?

7. To better understand media management please refer the media management chapter in backup exec admin guide. and the following two technotes:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265
admin guide:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266190

A. I have read 237374 and 192265 and happy with the information, with regards to the Admin Guide there is too much information to consume and I don’t understand why it would do this suddenly. All I want is instructions of how to get it back up and running.

Let me know what specific information you require?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

If you had read just the media management part of the admin guide you would have come across the foll definition for retired media:

Retired Media. Media that you have taken out of service, usually because of an excessive number of errors. After a media has been categorized as retired, it is not selected for use in a media set by Backup Exec. It is still available for restore operations, if it has not been damaged. You can delete media that is in Retired Media to remove it from Backup Exec.

Media that is moved to retired media set by backup exec is damaged media that cannot be used for backups. Besides retired media set is not the same media set as 'tuesday' media set, the backup job is targetted to the tuesday media set so ensure that this media set contains appendable media to fufill the backup requirement.

If brand new tapes have been moved to retired media set you may drag these back, since these media can in fact be used for backup id indeed they are new as you say.Why they were put into retired media set, you will need to investigate.

Additional Information :

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

With reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

Additional Information :

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Hassan_Ali
Level 3
I will test this today and let you know the outcome... I have deleted the contents of retired media.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

We shall await to hear the update rearding this post. If the problem persists, do revert to the forum.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool

Regards.

Hassan_Ali
Level 3
Before carrying Tuesdays tape backup I deleted the contents of the 'Retired Media' and did the following operation on Tuesday:

In 'Alerts' I tried to force run a tape backup on Tuesday, 19th July at 16:55 (normally runs at 02:00). I got the following message:

Type
Information

Category
Media Information

then the tape ejected automatically and I got the following message in 'Alerts'

Type
Attention Required

Category
Media Insert

Please insert overwiteable media into the drive

On wednesday, 20th July: I moved the created 'retired media' set into 'scratch media' and re-ran the operation again..no joy. I then moved it into the 'Media Set' Tuesday - still no luck.

I have now decided to go into 'Devices' and do a 'Erase media, long' on the Tuesday tape to see if that makes a difference.
It has erased the tape successfully and put the media set in the 'Scratch Media' set.

'Appendable Until' is set at 'Not Appendable' however all other tapes are set to 'Infinite - Allow Append'

Before: all jobs that were written to the tape in 'Job Status' showed up as 'Failed'. Recently all 'Thursday's' backup shows as 'Complete'??

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you getting any errors in the event viewer?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Hassan_Ali
Level 3
There are no errors in 'Event Viewer'....

but on the 20/07/05... I went into Veritas and must have clicked on 'Alerts' and there was a 'Media Insert' heading within the database and when I clicked on it and then clicked 'Cancel' to close the dialog box... this automatically put it in 'Event Viewer' just for that day..and this is the same details as if you double clicked the message in 'Alerts' within Veritas Backup Exec.

Event Type:Information
Event Source:Backup Exec
Event Category:None
Event ID:58061
Date:20/07/2005
Time:01:56:38
User:N/A
Computer:ASH2003SBS
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Media Insert
(Server: "ASH2003SBS") (Job: "Tuesday001") Please insert overwritable media into the drive.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

Respond Yes to acknowledge.
Respond No to retry the operation.
Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

However I have some very good news... Tuesday's (yesterdays) backup did backup and went successfully. I hope this continues from now on. It could be what I did last week by Erasing the tape 'Long Format' and re-label the media.

This post can now be CLOSED.

Thanks for your help and useful information that helped me on my way to get the tape backing up again.