cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

even day backups to one external drive and odd day backups to another external drive

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

Hi, A customer wants to backup a single Windows Server 2016 to two external hard drives attached to this server but they want to store backups taken on even number days of the month to say HDD1 and odd number days of the month to say HDD2. For instance. backups taken on the 1st, the 3rd, the 5th....of May are stored in HDD1, backups taken on the 2nd, 4th, 6th...of May are stored in HDD2. Can you create such a backup job(s)? I don't think BE can detect even or odd numbered days automatically so perhaps you have to select the even days or odd days manually and create separate jobs for each I think. What do you think?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben-Veritas
Level 4
Employee

I think the easiest way to do this would be to create 2 jobs one for odd and one for even days.  Then in the schedule settings set the job to run every 2 days. Having the first job start on even days and the second starting on odd days.  This should give you an every other day schedule.

Untitled.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ben-Veritas
Level 4
Employee

I think the easiest way to do this would be to create 2 jobs one for odd and one for even days.  Then in the schedule settings set the job to run every 2 days. Having the first job start on even days and the second starting on odd days.  This should give you an every other day schedule.

Untitled.png

Thanks! Right, this might work at the beginning but I think depending on the number of days in the month, when this job runs in the following month, eventually some days may be skipped so I think some adjustments may need to be made here. But this is good advice. Thank you!