cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exception question

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

I have an issue with one of my weekly jobs, this job backup sytemstade and some folder from an server that has agent on it, but since last 2 weeks I can see this job finished with an execption. when I go to restore data I can see that a triangel on the system stade of the same server. when I check the logs I can see this:

Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup- \\NTS51.doamin name.local\System?StateVSS Snapshot warning. File e:\clients_webroot\dev.domain.nl\pgrm\index\filename.exe is not present on the snapshot.

if I go to the same location I cannot see this file there, and the folder that the logs talked about has added about 2 weeks ago and II get this exception since this folder has been added.

I did try to exclud this file by using the includ/exclud option of the job property, but when submit the change to the job and go back to see the changes under view selcetion detailes I cannot see the excluded file.

my question is

why this exception heppens on the system stade when the file is not located in the location that log talk about it and also how get this exeption out?

systemstade.JPG

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Go to that directory on the server in question and create a dummy file with the same name and extension.

This should take care of the exception.

Thanks!

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Craig hit it right on the money...

ShahinTo answer your question this issue/exception presents itself when there are registry entries that point to an entry that is no longer present in the directory. Often this occurs when a program is removed and remnants remain.. Again as Craig has already stated you should be able to create a file in the expected location and aleviate the issue. Below you will find documentation on the issue for your record in the event you need to provide any higher ups/clients with your reasoning for doing so.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126412

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

in addition to donald and craig you can even reboot the server once and than refresh the selection list i.e uncheck system state in selection list and check it again and try running a backup job, suggesting a reboot because some times for registry to get updated it requires a reboot...

hope this resolves the issue

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

Followed you suggestion and add the dumy file, but when exclude the file and go back and check to see if the file is in the excluded files I cannot see it there!!

Any idea?

Shahin

CraigV

...if you have created the dummy file, there is no need to exclude it as it technically exists again!

Thanks!

Shahin123
Level 6

the file is exist and is not exclude but the excption is happens

CraigV

...can you post a screenshot of the selection list + exclusion list, and the job log?

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

FYI Exclusions do not apply to the system state part of a backup so will have no effect