cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exchange backup from member server

jai23155
Level 3

hi, i have setup exchange 2010 on our member server and installed remote backup agent on it. Media server is connected to DC with exchange agent installed. now when i go into backup job selections i could not see the exchange information on member server. can someone please tell me how do i backup exchange data ? do i have to share the database folder ? or is there any other way ? thanks  

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec is installed on what OS?  To backup Exchange 2010 you need to install BE on a 64bit 

OS. Also you need to install Exchange Management tools on the Media server.

jai23155
Level 3

hi Amol, both are server 2008 r2 std. i installed BE on 64 bit OS and installed Ex mgmt tools on media server. now what is the process to backup ? thanks

AmolB

Is Exchange 2010 configured as DAG? Is Exchange DB and CAS role on a different server?

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

If Exchange is configured as DAG make sure Backup Exec Remote agent is installed on all the servers. If Database and CAS roles are on 2 different servers make sure that remote agent is also installed on CAS server. You also have to Install Exchange Managment tools on the Backup Exec server. Also make sure the account which you have configured in Backup exec should be the member of domain admin and Exchange Full admin

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

Moreover you do not have to select the folder where database is residing. You need to select Microsoft Information store to Backup Exchange Database and Transaction Logs. Make sure the Exchange agent license is installed.

jai23155
Level 3

hi all, Exchange Database and CAS roles on the same server. BE is installed on different server. could some please guide me a step-by-step process or provide me a link. its not setup as DAG. whenever i select the member server from selection list it is giving me error "there is an error occured contacting the server server02. the network connection lost might caused this problem". but i can browse shared folders on that server. i am sure its not network problem. thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I'd go with uninstalling and then reinstalling the Exchange license, and then uninstall the RAWS agent off the Exchange server. Once done, do a push-install from the media server.

Thanks!

jai23155
Level 3

hi, neither of the tricks worked for me. logged a support ticket with symantec who could not resolve this issue in last 4days. cheers