cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how Symantec Backup same 2 machines can run different LTO

RIDHO07
Level 4

I Want to ask you, what Symantec Backup be run concurrently with the LTO 2 engine configuration as follows:
- 1 windows 2008 server as a backup station installed Symantec backup
-I n the above server installed 2 different LTO, LTO4 and LTO5 another

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have a look at the Hardware Compatibility Lists to verify if the make/model of the tape drives are compatible with BE or not.

Start with the latest version of BE, i.e. BE 2014 - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH205797

If these are part of a robotic library, you would need a Library Explansion Option license, else if these are stand-alone tape drives, then no additional license is required.

Do bear in mind, concurrent operations to the different tape drives would be from different backup jobs (and the source machines are different as well). Meaning, you cannot have one backup job going to multiple tape drives concurrently nor can you have one machine's backup being concurrently written to multiple tape drives.

RIDHO07
Level 4

my version Symantec Backup exec 2010 R3 SP4 hotfix 212812.

Operating System : Windows Server 2008 x64

HP Storage Works 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader

Meaning, if I have one server have been Symantec Backup exec 2010 R3 running multiple job with LTO different conditions (LTO4 and LTO5), this job can not be successful?

VJware
Level 6

Lets say, you have 2 jobs backing up 2 different machines. One job goes to LTO4 and the other to LTO5. This is possible.

As you are using a library with these 2 tape drives, you would need a Library Expansion Option (LEO) license to use the second tape drive.

Colin_Weaver

Do you mean you have an LTO5 tape drive and a mixture of both LTO4 and LTO5 tapes both of which can be written to by the drive - if this is what you are doing then the answer is we just handle them as individual tapes and don't care as long as the drive can write to them.If using older tape standard make sure your hardware supports WRITING to teh older standard as in some cases you will only be ble to READ from teh older standard - this is a hardware limitation not a Backup Exec one.

If however you have multiple tape drives of different LTO standards that require that specific tapes are only used in a specific one of the drives, then you have to use different batcodes on the two tape types and use Barcode rules to manage which drive can use which tapes.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c00809265-7%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&ac.admitted=1404288141211.876444892.492883150

If I read this page correctly, the HP Storage Works 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader can only support 1 tape drive and only up to LTO4.  This means that it would not be able to read/write LTO5 tapes.

RIDHO07
Level 4

I will separate between running job and run 2 machines LTO. for its own server running windows server 2008 installed Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3

The first condition:
No one backup server, there are 2 LTO. LTO4 and LTO5.
What can I run 2 of these machines at the same time?
- If it can, how? whether there requerment and condition?
- If not, why?

The second condition,
after two LTO machines that can run simultaneously. with certain conditions and requirements that have been specified.
What can run multiple jobs simultaneously?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I would speculate that that is an old HP page.

The BE 2014 HCL lists the HP 1/8 G2 library as supporting LTO2 up to LTO6, depending upon the interface, (SCSI, SAS or FC).

I agree that the library is a single drive library, so I would assume that the OP has two of these libraries.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

The HP StoreEver 1/8 G2 does support LTO5/6 when bought new only...older models would still support LTO2/3/4 drives.

To backup your details above:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA0-9872ENW&cc=us&lc=en

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Not sure why you want to run simultaneous backups of the same server...you're going to run into issues to be honest. If you have multiple remote servers to backup, then it makes sense...split your jobs and point them to either of the devices.

But don't backup the same server simultaneously, unless you're backing up completely different resources.

Thanks!