cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can I know to which tape is a fh file for?

saj3an_qazzi
Level 3

Is there anyway to relate the name of the fh file to the backup media (tape, harddisk) ? I've already used the cattool, but I can't know which tape is this particular fh file for.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The naming scheme for the catalog files is not published.  Each catalog file relates to one backup set which can be part of a single tape or can span multiple tapes, or they can be on disk.  The only way to match the catalog files to the backup set is by timestamp.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

as mentioned in a previous forum discussion, I don't know of any way to "marry" the 2 files up with each other, other than looking at the creation data of the file compared to the job that ran.

Thanks!

saj3an_qazzi
Level 3

Thanks for the reply. there is only one file. it's the related fh file. let's say I have like a 100 tapes on which I have backups on, and for each tape, I have a single fh file, but the fh files are not named after the tapes to which they are related to. You can't tell which tape was used before the other

The question is as simple as this: when BE generates these fh files and gives them names, is this name related in some way to the tape, maybe the serial numer, hardware id...

Note: I've noticed that for the same tape, the generated name ends with: 1,2,3... marking the versions of different backups to the same tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The naming scheme for the catalog files is not published.  Each catalog file relates to one backup set which can be part of a single tape or can span multiple tapes, or they can be on disk.  The only way to match the catalog files to the backup set is by timestamp.

saj3an_qazzi
Level 3

Thanks a lot

On second thoughts, do you know how the file names are created?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...that's exactly what I said in my first post...

saj3an_qazzi
Level 3

Thank you, Craig. Most appreciated.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Unfortunately, no

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you look at the content of the XML file that has the same name as the FH file, it is text readable and within the various tagged section of the content you can see the media names/labels

Due to the format it would be kind of difficult to write any kind of script to use this data but it is there.

I often use the old DOS based Find command with media  labels in the string just to find the correct (and all) catalog files linked to a specific piece of media.