cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can you retrive your data from the tape

ferhatkt
Level 3

We have a  Sbe 10 let's say we  got some disaster   even your backup server down, but you have a tape at home. The question is how can you retrive this data without your  backup server?

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello

You will have to install Backup Exec on a server where tape device is connected.

After installation you will have to perform an inventory of tapes and then catalog to media.

You will be able to retrieve your data from the tape once the catalogs are generated.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Or you can always have a spare system with BE intalled on it and whenever disaster happens you can attach the tape drive and restore the data. You can also use the option IDR where you can make a ISO image just to insert it into bare metal machine(it is recommeneded to have same hardware) and do the restore from tape and disk that is attached to any server in your n/w

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Having a spare system assumes you have your licensing in place...if not, it would be breaking your licensing agreement with Symantec,
I;'d go with the first poster...and make sure you have backups of your Data and catalogs folders. This will mean not having to catalog tapes to repopulate your BE database again, which will end up saving you time when recovering your server.

Laters!

ferhatkt
Level 3
Sbe 10 is not be able to used as disaster recovery ? Is it just backup your data? what symantech Programs you guys can advise me  for Disaster recovery

teiva-boy
Level 6
BackupExec is used for Disaster Recovery.  However, in order to recover your data, you will have to get the BackupExec server up and running again, which means having access to a tape drive, just in case, then restoring your data.

How do you expect to get the data off without access to a tape drive?  Even if your data were to reside on a removable hard drive, you will still need to have BackupExec reinstalled on a new computer to then catalog the drive contents, and restore what is needed.  If you have IDR, you can even recover entire systems.  However since you have such an old version of BackupExec, that was a pay for option that you may own.  Where as newer versions of BackupExec include it for free now.

rBoLt
Level 2

i have a similar question regarding restoration.... what if the tapes were written thru a bardcoded tape vault. can i restore it to a single tape drive? or i need the same vault?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Please open a new forum query over this one...

Thanks!