cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to expire tape cartridges (BackupExec 2015, Windows Server 2012R2)

Cecilia_Tong
Level 3

Hi,

Does anyone know how to expire tape cartridges in Backup Exec 2015 on Windows Server 2012R2?

I created a robotic library contain 2 robots,10 tape drives and 10 cartridges. I didn't find the solution from the BackupExec2015 Guide.In order to meet the test case needs, I need to expire the tape cartrideges which contain data.

I don't know how to solve this problem, please give some advices, thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Expire media is only applicable to disk media, not to tape media.

I would strongly suggest that you read the Admin Guide to understand how BE works.  You cannot test a product without understanding how it works.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you want to overwrite the tape immediately, right-click on the tape in the Storage tab and associate it with the Scratch Media Set.

Cecilia_Tong
Level 3

Thanks for your generous advice. Actually I want to backup data on expired cartridges.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Once the tape is in the scratch media set, your next backup job will be able to write to it.

Cecilia_Tong
Level 3

Pardon me, did you mean that "scratch media set" equal to "expire media" in BE? Thanks.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Maybe you can expire the media image on tape cartridge, maybe all of them. Then you can inventory and catalog the tape.

Cecilia_Tong
Level 3

I didn't find the expire button, could you please tell me how to expire  the media image on tape cartridge, thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Expire media is only applicable to disk media, not to tape media.

I would strongly suggest that you read the Admin Guide to understand how BE works.  You cannot test a product without understanding how it works.

Cecilia_Tong
Level 3

Thanks!