cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to recover a users contacts from tape backup (exchange mailbox)

dirkdigs
Level 3

Hello, 

I have a user who lost all of their contacts. The mail server is Exchange (2003 version).

The backup software is Symantec Backup Exec (11d version). (sbs server suite)

I attempted to go through the recover wizard but was unsure of several questions. I do no want to overwrite the users current mailbox in exchange and I just want to be able to see the contents from the backup tape.

Is there any docs you might have to help me through this? Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the backups taken were using the Granular Restore Technology (GRT) in the restore selection list try to expand the Microsoft Information Store under the required server.

Then expand the Storage Groups and then Mailbox database. Now you will be able to see all  the mailboxes from which drill down to the mailbox of the user whos data you want to restore.

Then select only Contacts so that only that can be restored.

Now goto Advanced tab and give the path which has large amount of free space so that the Information Store can be staged from Tape to temporary disk location.

Run the restore. First the data will be staged from Tape to Disk and then restored to your mailbox.

As you have selected only CONTACTS for that user, no other data will be overwritten but just the Contacts will be added to the current one.

Thanks,

-Sush...

dirkdigs
Level 3

Restore 00045 -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

Do you know what cause this error?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Ususally this error is seen if the account used for restore does not have proper rights. Ensure that the Backup Exec System Account (BESA) has following rights:

1) Should be a member of Domain Administrators

2) Should be a member of Local Admin group on Media server and Exchange server

3) It should have the Exchange Full Administrator Rights at the Organization level

4) It should have and active mailbox (to activate mailbox send / receive atleast 1 email to the account)

5) It should be a unique account. Meaning the first 5 characters of the account name should not match with any other account in your Domain.

Thanks,

-Sush...