Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to recover the server in 1 hour time

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

i have 2 servers SERVER X and SERVER Y

X is running SQL and Hyper-V in with 4 vms,noow i have to recover my entire server in minmum possible time with sql and hyper v,

i know about SDR,my quistion is it able to recover the entire server in 1 hour

wht are the lic we need to purchase for this,i dont have any dedicated it staff so can you give some recommendation to make things easy evn on storage side if possible

tks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure how feasible running a Hyper-V host that has been P2V converted inside a VM is, AFAIK Hyper-V hosts need to be physical (although I guess you might be able to run one inside of VMware, instead of inside of Hyper-V)

Back to original question from OP however - an hour time constraint for getting back the Hyper-V host and possibly the 4 VMs would be pushing the capabilities of most backup products, if you need this kind of uptime, then you should perhaps be looking at Hyper-V High Availability configurations to cover for loss of individual components of local hardware with your Backup Software covering complete DR with a more realistic SLA for recovery when it has to come back from backup.

You probably can get the host itself C: drive recovered and bootable in that hour time scale (with either Backup Exec SDR or Symantec System Recovery SRD processes.

Also for the short timescales you mention then fully traiing IT personnel would probably be recommended as then mistakes are less likely under pressure, which should then limit the chances of having to start the restore process from zero after possibly failing from a basic lack of understanding. Although I guess you could do full local testing and documentation covering your environment instead.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Wow...I know a competitor's product that will have the server up in minutes!!!

I suppose that if you had additional storage and a Hyper-V host attached to that server, the fastest way to do this would be to convert your backup to a VM...you'd convert it to a VM on the remote storage. Essentially it would require you starting up the VM, which would be as current as the last conversion job.

Read Chpt. 14 in the BE 2012 Admin Guide:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5211

License-wise, you'd need the Hyper-V agent which you have already, and nothing on the remote side...

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

Not sure how feasible running a Hyper-V host that has been P2V converted inside a VM is, AFAIK Hyper-V hosts need to be physical (although I guess you might be able to run one inside of VMware, instead of inside of Hyper-V)

Back to original question from OP however - an hour time constraint for getting back the Hyper-V host and possibly the 4 VMs would be pushing the capabilities of most backup products, if you need this kind of uptime, then you should perhaps be looking at Hyper-V High Availability configurations to cover for loss of individual components of local hardware with your Backup Software covering complete DR with a more realistic SLA for recovery when it has to come back from backup.

You probably can get the host itself C: drive recovered and bootable in that hour time scale (with either Backup Exec SDR or Symantec System Recovery SRD processes.

Also for the short timescales you mention then fully traiing IT personnel would probably be recommended as then mistakes are less likely under pressure, which should then limit the chances of having to start the restore process from zero after possibly failing from a basic lack of understanding. Although I guess you could do full local testing and documentation covering your environment instead.

CraigV

I wouldn't worry about converting a host at all...the idea would only be for the VMs themselves, and converting the backup to a VM on a remote site.

With a domain controller on the remote site, it would be a simple process to just fire up the VMs. In theory...

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

hi all

Thanks for your suggestion,forget the hyper v or 4 vms  at present,my most importent con is my sql server

my server X in which my sql is running,i will take the backup of entire C drive and sql now i will covert that backup set in to VM

now if i go to SERVER Y and install the vmware workstation,will i able to use this vm which i created from this backup set,i will be able to use this

any thing else i need to done

CraigV

Workstation is not supported on the BE 2012 SCL...doesn't mean it can't/won't work, but Symantec haven't tested it...so it may or may not work!

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

on which i can use the vm,

Colin_Weaver

@CraigV - Well you don't really convert VMs. you back them up with the virtual agent and then directly restore them

Colin_Weaver

@roh234

If SQL is on a Physical machine then is using Backup Exec you have to backup up at least C: drive, System State and the SQL databases themselves (with the SQL agent) and a normal DR restore would be a two phase process

1) Restore the operating system with SDR

2) Restore the SQL database with a manual restore job

Typically this would take longer than 1 hour

I am not 100% sure if the P2V operation has the same 2 phase requuirement

As such it might be the SSR (Symantec System Recovery) is a better option than BE as that takes a block level/image  backup of the disk volumes and recovers to a point in time state by booting off the SDR disk (although for SSR the storage device for the backup itself does have to be an HDD (can be USB)

teiva-boy
Level 6

The lower the RTO, Recovery Time Objective, the more complex and more expensive the solution is.  The same statement applies to a granular RPO.  This is a fact of life.

BackupExec and other "traditional," backup products cannot fullfill a short RTO nor a granular RPO.  There are point solutions that offer this, and this is all they do, and they do it well.  What traditional backup products try to do is be a jack of all trades, and suffer not being the best in any one thing.

You want near instantaneous failover, you will want some sort of cluster of servers, then you move into CDP and near-CDP type products, then you move into image based backups or snapshots, and lastly you can use traditional backcup software.  And the cost is often exponential as you move up the ladder...

criley
Employee Accredited

my server X in which my sql is running,i will take the backup of entire C drive and sql now i will covert that backup set in to VM

now if i go to SERVER Y and install the vmware workstation,will i able to use this vm which i created from this backup set,i will be able to use this

As Colin has mentioned, maybe SSR is a more suitable option for you.

Using SSR, you can backup the entire machine (or just certain volumes) and then convert this backup to virtual format (including VMware Workstation).

You can get a 60-day trial of SSR here:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=154587