cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to restore data when one tape is missing from the backup set

dori_bashan
Level 6

We have the need to restore old data from a backup set that contains 5 tapes

Only one tape is present, the others are missing.

I want to restore the data that are located on the tape that i have

i have inserted the tape to the auto loader in order to Catalog and Inventory

Invetroy was done

i have selected the tape in the Storage menu, and press Catalog

it seems that BE tries to Catalog the entire set and not only the tape i have inserted,.

How can i force BE to Catalog only that specific tape, as i want to restore from that tape only. and the other tapes are not present

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You will probably need to disable the "Request all media in the sequeunce for catalog operations"  setting that is located in the same place as the setting CraigV mentioned

Please note that as well as Trued iamge, things like VMware and Exchange backups where multiple tapes are used probably can't be restore from either as they have to get at all the data in order to access individual items

So more or less standard file system backups only might allow a restore where you do not have all of the tapes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Deselect this option under Tools --> Options, and I think it is under Catalogs:

Use storage media-based catalogs

Thanks!

dori_bashan
Level 6

Thanks!

dori_bashan
Level 6

is this backup is a true image restore backup , will i still be able to restore it if Use Storage Baed Catalogs is unchecked?

Beacuse on the Help Topics on Use Storage Based Catalogs it says:

• If you use the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option, this option must be enabled to use the true image restore capability.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there is only 1 way to find out and that is to test it.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You will probably need to disable the "Request all media in the sequeunce for catalog operations"  setting that is located in the same place as the setting CraigV mentioned

Please note that as well as Trued iamge, things like VMware and Exchange backups where multiple tapes are used probably can't be restore from either as they have to get at all the data in order to access individual items

So more or less standard file system backups only might allow a restore where you do not have all of the tapes.