cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import and export media from library

medikal
Level 4

hello

i have backup exe 2012 i evrey day import and export two media from the library i want to know hw i do it?i import first and after this export or what?

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi medikal,

Depends on whether or not you have free slots in your library to accomodate the 2 tapes you want to export.

As a rule-of-thumb, I'd suggest exporting the 2 tapes you don't need, and then importing the 2 you do.

THis way you're assured you've got free slots.

THanks!

medikal
Level 4

i import first after this export ,but i see that the media i import is in i/o why?it need to be on slot no??

CraigV

...so you have an export job that pulls the tape from the slot, into the mail slot of the library. I assume you have an import job that does the reverse of that?

medikal
Level 4

what is the cirrect way to do?import and after this export or export before?

CraigV

...there IS no correct way. Please refer to my first post...if you have spare slots to accomodate the number of tapes you want to import, then run an import job first. Then export.

My preference is to export the tapes, and then import...and it's a logical thing to me. I don't want the tapes (export!); I want the tapes (import!).

What's your preference? Either way works...

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

as Craig said...

if you have empty slots: you can import first, then export OR you can export first, then import.

if you don't have any empty slots: then you MUST export first, then import

medikal
Level 4

when i export first i get error destination full why if i have empty slot

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you enable the mailslot?

You seem to have a lot of problems operating your tape library.  Have you considered using disks instead?  They are much easier to handle.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

"export" moves tapes from a slot to the portal.  Therefore a "destination full" error would imply that your portal is full.  Or, as pkh suggested, is your portal enabled?

How many slots are in your portal?  What model tape library?

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

This strongly implies the mail slot is enabled on the tape library.  That being said, you need to clear the media from it before you can use it for importing or exporting media to/from the tape slots inside.

Once you get it cleared, follow the suggestions of the others on this thread.