cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incremental backup is almost as big as full backup

joachim_k
Level 3

Hello,

i have a backup-job containing of a full backup at friday and incremental backups on monday to thursday. I tried the option incremtal with changed date and incremental using the archive bit. I make a full backup of a Windows 2008 Terminal Server. Most of the 40 GB are Windows and Programm files. There are also archived user-data on the server. So the data on this server actually hardly change but the size of the incremntal backups are almost as big as the size of the full backup (54 GB).

What could be the reason for that?

regards,

Joachim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

yes although be aware that even in BE 2014, some things inside a system state are still backed up as full (Active Directory related files on a Domain Controller for instance)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver

We only started supporting Incremental backups of System State in Backup Exec 2014 as such if the System State takes up a large amount of that data then it won't be incremental (I believe you can see the breakdown of size per resources by expanding the job log and reviewing it carefully.)

joachim_k
Level 3

The size of the system state is 14 GB and the size of the drive c is 40 GB. The sice of the drive C should be much smaller. Could it have something to do with the Advanced Open File Option 'Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you have anti-virus scanning on that server, turn it off and try again. Some AV scans mess up the files

joachim_k
Level 3

i was wrong. Only the backup of the system state have the same size. So that means that i have to update to Bakup Exec 2014 to decrease the size of the incremtal backup, right?

Colin_Weaver

yes although be aware that even in BE 2014, some things inside a system state are still backed up as full (Active Directory related files on a Domain Controller for instance)