Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command

coolcsgeek
Level 3
Dear all,

I got the following Alert message.

(Server: "XXXXXXX") (Job: "XXXXXX-XXXXXXX-END OF WEEK") Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

but funny thing is that the back up is successful. I have looked up the message into support docuements but I couldn't find out any problems why this alert comes. if this alert comes, shouldn't the back up fail?
Is there anything that I need to check up or that I am missing?

Thank you in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
When this happens on any of my backup servers, it generally means that it's trying to span 2 tapes. If I get the IT guy to put in a new tape, it inevitably gets ejected as it hasn't been formatted.
My only solution is to stop the backup. I've now made sure that the IT guy has enough tapes formatted as scratch to ensure we don't have this problem.
On sites with autoloaders, we don't have this problem. 400GB or 800GB is more than enough space on a tape.
The backup won't fail unless you cancel it. It assumes you've got another tape on hand. I have yet to figure it out myself though.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
When this happens on any of my backup servers, it generally means that it's trying to span 2 tapes. If I get the IT guy to put in a new tape, it inevitably gets ejected as it hasn't been formatted.
My only solution is to stop the backup. I've now made sure that the IT guy has enough tapes formatted as scratch to ensure we don't have this problem.
On sites with autoloaders, we don't have this problem. 400GB or 800GB is more than enough space on a tape.
The backup won't fail unless you cancel it. It assumes you've got another tape on hand. I have yet to figure it out myself though.

coolcsgeek
Level 3

hi craig, thnx for your reply. i have powervault lib that can have 8 tapes. so adding a tape would be the solution?
without the extra tape, would the tape have all data backed up? or , would it cut off some data by itself causing no errors at all?

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
As Craig said if you have an autoloader you'll be fine.
Add a second available tape to the autoloader (make sure it's "Overwritable".)
The job should write to available media in the autoloader. Have you used the option "Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is available"?

If the job does not get a media request satisfied it will sit their throwing an alert or cancel if you have a maximum run time configured.

Good luck
Gilly

CraigV
Hi coolcsgeek,

Have you come right with this?

coolcsgeek
Level 3
i haven't done anything for this and still working good.

i got another problem and will post it here for ya

thnx.

coolcsgeek
Level 3
forgot to say i thank you for your interest and help :)

coolcsgeek
Level 3
got the same notification message and this time i inserted an extra tape into the powervault. i will what's going on.