cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to run backup exec 12.0 on windows xp as backup server

Tomybyte
Level 2

Hi,

I'm running Veritas Backup Exec 8.5 on my Server with Win 2000 Server as OS.

For I'm doing a one man business, I don't need a real Windows Server. I need a server for my emails and for backup up my files that I collect and transfer from my local devices as pc or notebook etc to my server.

I don't want install a real server OS any more, cause I don't need it. For I want to use my old but good working HP streamer C5683A, I guess I need BE 12.0, the newer versions of BE wan't support that HP streamer any more.

I found an offer on eBay for a Symantec Backup Exec 12.0 Server Licence. Before I'll bit on it, I want to be sure, that it will work on a Windows XP Pro SP3 system. In the Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers Software Compatibility List (SCL) from July 10, 2009 I could find an entry in the last line of the "Media Server Operating System Compatibility" table, that Windows XP Pro SP3 will be supported.

So my first question: Can I use BE 12.0 on Windows XP System as backup server system, just as I use Veritas Backup Exec 8.5 till now on a Windows 2000 Server?

And my second question: Will I be able to restore data from backups I created with Veritas Backup Exec 8.5 on the HP streamer C5683A on DDS4 cartr. with Symantec Backup Exec 12.0?

Thanks in advance

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

XP is listed in the SCL as media server:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56442

see page 9.

To answer your second question, yes you can restore a backup created with an older version of Backup Exec.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

XP is listed in the SCL as media server:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56442

see page 9.

To answer your second question, yes you can restore a backup created with an older version of Backup Exec.

Tomybyte
Level 2
Hi ZeRoC00L,

that was I wanted to be verified.
Thank you very much!

Tom