Highlighted

iscsi mappings to virtual tapes

Hi,

Our current system was working fine until a power outage. Now it seems our iSCSI virtual tapes are out of whack. We have a bakstor 1000 with 1.5TB of disk space. This has slices created for virtual tapes within Backup Exec 10d, these are then copied out to tape with various jobs.

Originally, we had 6 slices on the Bakstor Mon-Thu differential and then a larger slice for a Full backup on Friday (the final is a temp slice for ad-hoc backups). The server running Backup Exec connects to the Bakstor devices via Microsofts iSCSI initiator. BE 10d then sees these iSCSI connections as virtual tapes, and runs the backup jobs to copy data to these drives.

What seems to have happened since the power outage is that the iSCSI connections between the Bakstor and BE 10d server are OK and match up. But BE 10d sees the virtual tapes in a different order, e.g. AD-LTO-MON has the virtual tape for Tuesday assigned to it. I need to try and get BE 10d to see the right virtual tape for the associated job. Is there anyway to configure this from within BE? I'd rather not have to delete the slices and set this up from scratch but can't seem to change the target ID's for the virtual tapes anywhere within BE.

I don't think the above is an outlandish setup, but failed to find any forums with a simillar problem.

 

Thanks all,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution!

Resolved

Hi,

I managed to get this resolved in the end. Probably fairly basic, but had been advised not to touch the Backup exec virtual tapes. In the end I plunged in and deleted all the virtual tapes. You have to re-assign the jobs on these tapes to the backup server. On restarting the BE services, the tapes re-appear as generic HP tape drives. It was then a case of mapping the right drive to the correct target ID on the bakstor device. From there re-submit the jobs back to the desired tape.

All backups running OK now.

 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Accepted Solution!

Resolved

Hi,

I managed to get this resolved in the end. Probably fairly basic, but had been advised not to touch the Backup exec virtual tapes. In the end I plunged in and deleted all the virtual tapes. You have to re-assign the jobs on these tapes to the backup server. On restarting the BE services, the tapes re-appear as generic HP tape drives. It was then a case of mapping the right drive to the correct target ID on the bakstor device. From there re-submit the jobs back to the desired tape.

All backups running OK now.

 

View solution in original post